1/48 Eduard Yak-3 Work In Progress

Started by Marek Halas · 8 · 9 years ago · 1/48 Eduard Yak-3, Yak 3, Yak-3 Profi Pack
  • Profile Photo
    Marek Halas said 9 years, 2 months ago:

One that's been on the boil for quite some time, having started it way back in March of last year, (and only nearing completion now..) It's high time I posted some build shots of Eduard's 1/48 Yak-3. Nice straightforward dare I say relatively simple build even in the early Profi Pack iteration. Included in the box are a photo etch set, vinyl canopy mask & resin wheels:

The build kicked off at the ADF WGA event I attended at Enogerra Barracks, Brisbane, in March of last year as part of the IPMS Queensland Club Display:

Work on the Eduard kit continued intermittently in the following months.

No problems with fit of parts, all major components went together without a hitch.

(Note The canopy has not been glued, just added for effect in the photos).

Model now at the primer stage, my usual choice of primer is Vallejo's Surface primer, which buffs up nicely with a micromesh pad.

Pre-shading was also added after priming.

Wheel wells already painted in German Field Grey (That's what the instructions advised, and I'm none the wiser what the Soviets used, so "I only followed my orders").

The model kit sits on a 3D printed jig of my own making, which is proving really useful.

Up next I experimented with salt weathering with very mixed results...

I think I may have to work on that technique.

My main issue at this point was how to weather what is to all intents & purposes a wooden plane with aluminium panels along the front fuselage.

My masking was also a bit indifferent, in some places diffuse in other's quite sharp as my paper masks lifted in some areas.

I would have to revisit some areas which I was not happy with.

As an aside, I managed to find a local store that does "white' blu-tack, which doesn't leave a residue on the paintwork, yay! Unfortunately it's too late for this build, never mind.

With the build at the nearly but not quite done stage, I took some photos with my old 35mm SLR Macro lens which I fitted to my digital camera..All shot on a tripod in manual mode...

Photo's didn't look too bad, paint job a bit suss in places, mind.

I also took some interior shots:

Excuse the dust!

Righto, that's it for now.

Finished pictures will follow soon.

In the meantime thanks for looking, and please feel free to add your comments. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Looking really nice, and almost finished! Well done.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Gregor. Just a few more bits to do & I'm calling it done.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Cool Yak, Marek ! Looks great so far, as Gregor said, its nearly finished.
    The Eduard kit is a relaxing nice build, did a weekender some years back. The soviet birds have some great markings options.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernd, it's one of those kits that helped establish Eduard's reputation as one of the premium model kit producers it is today. It's simply engineered, and is as you say a relaxing build. I'm now curious what the Zvezda kit is like in comparison.
    The marking options were pretty good to, this particular kit I picked up second-hand in what must be the original 1990's Profi packaging, and it does show how far the manufacturer has progressed since then.

• Profile Photo

Finally, I'm calling it done! Decals on, & all the other "bibs n' bobs" finished!:

Markings are for Yellow 15 flown by Semion Rogow of the 1st Guards Fighter Division, 1945.

Proper beauty shots will be posted here on iModeler sometime late next week,(work schedule permitting):

In the meantime these bench-top photos will have to do for now, thanks for looking.
    ...And it's back to the Dragon Dora-9 (see my other W-I-P posts)...

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 2 months ago:

Nicely done, Marek. I'm a fan of these Russian types, and I think you're right about exercising restraint on weathering a wooden aircraft. I'm surprised no one ever did a 1/32 version. The 1/48 issues have always been popular, if a little simplistic, so it would be good to see something in a larger scale. I also like your choice of unit markings, by the way.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Rob, we like the markings with either Cyrillic slogans or fancy graphics, & makes for something a bit different in the model cabinet. It is a "compact" aircraft & looks positively tiny next to something like a late model griffon engined Spitfire/ Seafire or for that matter a Dora-9 (shameless plug for the other build on the forum). I'd agree with you that 1/32 would be a very suitable scale for it and I'm always a bit mystified why Yak's have been so neglected in that scale. I think there might have been an Eastern European resin Yak kit in 1/32, but nothing in injection moulding, pity.