1:48 Hasegawa/Eduard Hellcat – Mojo Recovery Project

Started by Don Mk1a · 80 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

@plasteekgeek - the only editing possible in the iModeler programme online is crop - that may come in handy one day? - apart from that, the hobby is far more important than spending time on editing photos! (I have to admit I have been editing photos long before I took up modeling, and that helps a lot)

As for the matter in hand - the paint looks great! - I like your build, and will be looking forward to follow the progress!

• Profile Photo
    Don Mk1a said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks Erik and George,

Yes I used the crop function but it only reduced the visible image, the actual size on screen stayed constant. I've taken some photos with my old camera. They might be better.

I've made some progress today but nothing particularly interesting. The fuselage halves went together ok and the wings and tail are now on! The aircraft is now set up in my little jig and with a little luck and a following wind will be setting square and true.

That's all folks!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Don, you are right the crop only does that (and makes fewer pixels in the end). I can easily live with the phonepictures, any wich way they are oriented. Of course an old camera is easier to handle, but do not let the pictureorientation keep you from posting - it is all good stuff you build!

Strong tailwinds and happy landings to you and your mojo recovery!

• Profile Photo

You are right Erik! I posted no pictures yesterday because of the hassle of using my clunky old camera. I’ll continue to relax and rely on my phone. Making the models must be my priority at the moment.

--- pic2 not found ---

--- pic1 not found ---

And I just found out that I can post directly from the phone without even bothering with downloading to my laptop. Excellent!

But that is one big ugly aeroplane!

• Profile Photo

This is one of those times when, getting to the bench too late in the evening, and after a busy and stressful sort of a day, you just KNOW that you are going to duck something up big time - maybe blood will flow! So I'm going to have a cup of tea, a slice of toast and a quick go at today's crossword instead. I'm even letting myself off the washing up tonight.

My next two days have few commitments however, so watch this space!

G'night all.

• Profile Photo

Another day, another tale of ham-fisted 'progress'.

--- pic1 not found ---

I drilled out this hole so that ot would be perfectly round before discovering that it, and the little panel behind it, was a Hasegawa error. It's the gun camera and there's only one, on the other wing. So that needed filling. This time I used good old fashioned filler of the toxic fumes variety - none of that acrylic rubbish!

--- pic2 not found ---

More sanding in the morning.

--- pic3 not found ---

There's been a lot of sanding today. Look at the step I built into the fuselage yesterday. Maybe too many clamps?

--- pic4 not found ---

The step eventually went away but so did that distinctive overlapping panel detail.

--- pic5 not found ---

Restored with a bit more sanding, some sawing, and a little delicate scraping. With luck and a lick of paint it won't look so horrible at the end.

--- pic6 not found ---

I haven't broken this off yet. There's no-one more surprised about that than me. I even placed the aircraft upside down on the bench once. Every time I see the strange angle though, I think I've bust it.

--- pic7 not found ---

--- pic8 not found ---

I sand using sheets of wet and dry paper wrapped around erasers which I have cut into useful shapes. Cheap and I always have a sharp cutting surface. I found that I kept expensive sanding sticks way too long.

--- pic9 not found ---

'Tubby' lined up with the gunsight in a very satisfying way.

--- pic10 not found ---

--- pic11 not found ---

The canopy and windshield fitted reasonably well though a bead of wood glue was used to fill a small gap on the starboard side. I hate working with clear parts. So brittle! So revealing!

--- pic12 not found ---

--- pic13 not found ---

Minor improvements to the tailwheel. Was it really worth the bother? lol

--- pic14 not found ---

Shiny aluminium reflector for the landing light. I got that into place and then lost the clear cover, finally abandoning the search and using something from the spares box. Unfortunately it was domed slightly and I hadn't the wit to install it upside down (until lit was too late).

--- pic15 not found ---

I think the overall effect is ok though I could have made a lamp too.

Overall, I'm pleased with progress despite the setbacks. It's good to be back at the bench and building something.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Don, that is one scared looking pilot. I know that look from filing tax returns. Or when my wife starts being nice to me. Really enjoying your build log. Hope that mojo is getting stronger.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Don, I think we travel the same modeling path. All of my builds include a lost part (or more), gluing something incorrectly, having liquid glue run down a part, putting my finger in wet glue, disfiguring the canopy in some way, keeping some appendage intact until breaking it off near the end of the build, and so on. I can't even list the number of tragedies that occur during painting and adding decals. I once was building a kit that was designed so you could put the wrong wings together. I didn't discover the problem till it was too late. I sometimes think this is how my skills get better: figuring out how to fix the stuff I have messed up. The skill to do some of things you are doing for your kit show that your skills are well above average, so I don't think ham-fisted is a good description of what you are doing. Looking forward to seeing this kit built up.

• Profile Photo

George, we seem to have the same modelling philosophy ! I once built a superb Tamiya Skyraider. Best thing I ever did. Something about it looked strange though and after a few days I realised that I had fitted the undercarriages to the wrong sides with the wheels inboard!

• Profile Photo

David, yes I’m enjoying myself again. I notice how chaotic I’m working.

--- pic1 not found ---

Maybe that’s a clue to my state of mind. Usually I’m so tidy that you can’t tell I’m working. And of course, I haven’t been creating anything for ages.

“If you can’t make a mess, you can’t make anything.”

Perhaps I’m making these mistakes ‘accidentally on purpose’ because my Free Child is so furious about all that Parental control he’s suffered lately?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Don that work space looks highly organized compared to mine. See you also shop at IKEA.

• Profile Photo

Hi Tom.

Cheap Ikea furniture. Yes, I love it. Form following function, frill free and fret free following final fractures. Effin’ good stuff for a person who cares more about how his room works than how it looks.

The bench is a mess because I just unboxed my tools and chucked them into the drawers. If I finish ONE Hellcat I’ll organise myself a bit better. If I finish TWO, I’ll rearange the room to put the desk in best light. THREE sees me putting up shelves and FOUR is a new spraybay and extraction system.

By the way Tom, thanks for not posting a picture of your workspace. Once that starts, there will be a hundred sheds, dens and basements taking over the thread. Lol.

• Profile Photo

Here’s one reason to be tidy. Remember those erasers for the sanding? I left them near the edge of the desk and the dog chewed them to bits!

--- pic1 not found ---

• Profile Photo

Hello all.
    Not much to report to you today. I've been tidying up a few small details.

--- pic6 not found ---

The zero length rocket launchers were tricky to align. If they are too far out, I may leave off the rockets. The cat hooks are on and the landing light masked.

--- pic1 not found ---

--- pic2 not found ---

The u/c fairings were a little thick do I sanded them down as shown, and also removed my fingerprints!

--- pic3 not found ---

As you see, the cat has legs. They are fairly sturdy and will make the spraying easier as I'll have no trouble putting the beast down. Fortunately for me, the legs ant the bays were all painted in the undersides colour (apart from the front of the bays which were in some sort of green - but were often sprayed over anyway, as they will be on this model!)

--- pic4 not found ---

Reluctant to set up the airbrush for such a small job, I painted the engine in enamels.

--- pic7 not found ---

It's not bad for a rushed and skimped job. I don't think much is visible when installed anyway. Once the enamels are dry tomorrow, I'll try to make an acrylic wash and deepen the shadows.

--- pic8 not found ---

The box is emptying. I like that. I like the way a box of chaos gradually turns into one complete aeroplane (and a few forgotten pieces!).

Tomorrow - sanding that spurious camera gun away. Masking the canopy - awful job. and then I think, airbrushing the airframe!

p.s. Look what came in the post today.

--- pic5 not found ---

It's the first fighter pilot's biography I ever read, the first of hundreds, and in the edition I remember. I love that cover painting.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

I also hate the canopy masking process. It has gotten to the point that I almost won't buy a kit that doesn't have a pre-cut masking set available for it. How did I survive all those years before pre-cut masks became available? Does your newly rediscovered book mean your next kit will be a Spitfire?