1/72 Fine Molds Ki-100-1a

Started by Magnus Fridsell · 68 · 9 years ago · Japan, Ki-100
  • Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 10 years ago:

I have realised that this was a much sought-after kit for Japanese aircraft enthusiasts (nowadays there are alternatives), I got it as a gift from a friend many years ago and since then it has just sat there in the stash...

Fine Molds box art from the early nineties, a bit like Hasegawa but in subdued colours. I like it, fells classy 🙂 !

When looking into the box it is readily apparent how close the cooperation was between Hasegawa and Fine Molds: This is really the Hasegawa Ki-61 (note the extra fuselage) with an added sprue from Fine Molds for the Ki-100 specific parts.

As a final addition to the package, there are a few nicely done white metal parts.

I'll leave for Easter now but there will be more to come later on in April!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Looks good Magnus. I've never built a Fine Moulds kit. I'm looking forward to watching this one progress. Good subject choice too - don't see too many Japanese planes on I-modeller.

• Profile Photo

I have thought about the same: why don't people (including myself) build Japanese aircraft? They are well catered for in model (several companies have Japan as their home market and I have the feeling that they aim even higher than usual when doing a Japanese subject) and most of them are both special and really good looking!

I am also sad to report that this is NOT the start of a trend: this is the only Japanese aircraft that I own. On the other hand it is perfectly possible to go shopping...

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years ago:

That kit looks a little familiar... 🙂

I'll be following this one, Magnus.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years ago:

There was a modeler that I really followed when I saw his Fine Molds Judy in 48th scale (it may have been an Oscar) for the first time, his name Bill LaChance, ever since I really wanted to get one, just any Fine Mold kit. What he did with that project and the detail it had when it was finished, a truly amazing build. You know Fine Mold kits are not easy to get, they bring premium prices on Ebay. Though yours is in 72nd scale, just looking at the sprues shows the quality of the kit. I have yet to get one and it is high on the list to do so, though in 48th scale. So I will be following this project as you get started. Enjoy your Easter holiday. Stay safe.

Chuck

• Profile Photo

Jaime: Let's start A Kawasaki mafia :)!

Chuck: This is certainly a case of pearls for swine: I got the kit for free without even wanting it while the enthusiasts do just about anything to get one :). At least I didn't put it on eBay and made a fortune from it 🙂

Regards Magnus

• Profile Photo

Magnus, that sounds like a fine idea!

The Ki-61 is my favorite Japanese fighter. Mine is a Japanese issue kit sent by a friend in Japan a long time ago. I'm happy to have finally gotten to it.

And I agree - Japanese subjects are pretty scarce. We need to do something about that... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Gotta love the Ki-84 - The Frank. Hasegawa did a 1/32 a few years back I'd like to do that.

• Profile Photo

Ki-61 is done, Magnus. How's her sister coming along?

• Profile Photo

Jaime! Managed to put in come work yesterday!

After a few days in London with my family (lovely spring weather, visiting Harry Potter and Hamley's, generally just walking about and having a good time, only case of giving in to dad's interests were having a good look at HMS Belfast from the shore :), big girl (9) said that next time in London she will go on board with dad to make him extra happy 🙂 ) I'm back at the workbench!

Interior parts glued. This is what there is in the kit, some photo etch would come in handy if doing it with an open canopy. When on the subject, I might have picked up some after market for this one years ago. I'll have to go digging!

A few simple modifications that I think will enhance the final result: cutting away the pylon behind the seat and substituting it with a piece of plasticard and also installing exhaust pipes. There are none in the kit, the area where they should be is just moulded flat. I use a sharp scalpel blade and just scrape my way inwards until I get a thin edge for the cooling flaps. I'll use brass tubing for the pipes, I had none of correct dimensions but I have ordered some more that will be in the mailbox in a few days.

This is what it should look like. Photo taken at Hendon in 2006, this is a later-version bubble-top Ki-100 but I'll make do with that. You can't be too picky when it comes to taking photos of preserved Japanese aircraft!

The rivet wheel at work! This is one of those things I never should have started doing...

Rivets in full scale...

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Some progress... Riveting finished and now on with the usual modelling!

Look what I found!

And some further findings from the stash. I have no idea when I bought this but it probably was intended for this kit!

Some of the PE installed. Not too impressive but at least better than blank plastic... And now you got a bit of "part on sticks" as well, eagerly awaited of course 🙂 ?

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years ago:

This is looking great so far. Very neat riveting. Out of personal interest, how much time did you spend doing the rivets?

• Profile Photo

@editor : I would guess a bit more than two hours! I haven't been overly careful and I am not sure if the rivets are where they really should be though...

Magnus

• Profile Photo

Looking good, Magnus.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years ago:

@magnusf : Freehand or ruler? 🙂