1/72 Fine Molds Ki-100-1a

Started by Magnus Fridsell · 68 · 9 years ago · Japan, Ki-100
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Magnus I've arrived late but absolutely wonderful build, and finish. Thanks for all the tips along the way, I'll be trying out your eraser masking trick later today.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Great build Magnus, and great tutorial as well.
    Looking forward to seeing her in Headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Bernd, Al and Simon! Thanks! I can offer a few final pieces of maskings as well as some genuine hand painting in this update!

Rick! How did the eraser masking go?

There was some further stuff to either mask and paint or use the kit decals. Since I have gotten less and less fond of decals over time and due to the fact that they also tend to ruin my current modelling style where a lot of the weathering goes on during the initial painting stage I decided to take out the dreaded tape for one final session on this kit...

Red striping around the ammo bays...

...are masked off and carefully painted using a thin brush and some Vallejo space-monster paint that I stole from my kids 🙂 ! I didn't dare to undercoat using white but a few strokes with the red letting the paint dry inbetween did the trick well enough.

While the thin paintbrush was out and about anyway I decided to try to paint the signs on the flaps (whatever they mean). Trying out a bit of sign-painting also felt like a very Japanese thing to do! Two thin strips of tape for size and then the signs were carefully drawn using Vallejo "Foundation white"...

...followed by filling them in using a steady hand and some more of that red monster-paint!

Not as hard as I thought it should be...

...and this was also the only way that I could think of that guaranteed no visible decal carrier film whatsoever!

Finally, there is a set of main landing gear complete with etched doors to show!

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 8 months ago:

The landing gear is a piece of art for itself !

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Bernd! Thanks! Not much more to it than some careful glueing, it'll get some further detail painting tonight.

Finally up on its landing gear! The sockets were a rather sloppy fit but a blob of epoxy in each fixed that one...

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looks like another masterpiece Magnus. You put an incredible amount of work into your builds. Amazing 🙂

• Profile Photo

Gregor! I have to correct you on that one: I put an incredible amount of CALENDAR TIME into my builds, not work 🙂 ! Said as a joke but sadly quite true...

Thanks!

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

A masterpiece, the detail and paintwork is outstanding, did we talk about the propeller?

All the Best

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Magnus, truly spectacular work. I know how hard these markings are to do in 1/48, and you've rendered them flawlessly in 1/72.
    My experiment with the eraser masking was a failure. Don't know if I used the wrong kind of eraser or left them on to long etc, but they ate through fully cured Tamiya Camel Yellow spray paint. Any suggestions, because I really want to learn this technique.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Damn fine work there Magnus.
    Looking forward to seeing it in headlines.

Simon.

• Profile Photo

Bernd! Prop in place - order restored!

Rick! Polymers are rather troublesome, I think you should have been quicker with removing the erasers. I am really no expert on the subject (I try to stick to metals in my work 🙂 ) but I think it might have to do with softening agents in the eraser reacting with the (not too resilient) paint! Sorry about that Camel yellow! My box of Faber-Castell (since 1761) erasers are marked "synthetic erasers, PVC-free".

Working with oil washes now and also some polishing with a cotton swab that brought out the rivets nicely.

I'll let it dry thoroughly before applying a bit of exhaust stains and some more detail painting!

Have a nice weekend!

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Your Ki-100 is gorgeous Magnus, looking forward to seeing it finished. Thank you for the information, I'll make sure I get that a PVC free eraser and remove it promptly.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looking great Magnus.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Finally finished!

Thanks for all the encouragement and your patience with the slowest builder of the known Universe 🙂 !

All in all a fun build and I really ought to build more Japanese aircraft. I shouldn't have given away that Tojo...

Regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Magnus, you may be the slowest builder, but the outcome of this little kit is truly awesome !
    (even without the prop 🙂 )
    The Japanese got some very interesting and beautiful aircrafts, what about a multi engined one ?
    All the Best

Bernd