Airfix 1/48 Ju 87B Stuka

Started by Keith · 33 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great work done, Keith @greenterrorz
    Nice details on that exhaust and the PE.

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thank you - @johnb, @fiveten

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Man this is such incredible work and detail - @greenterrorz - fantastic, loving this build.

• Profile Photo

Thank you @anthonyricco, I appreciate the compliment!

I got off work a bit early today, so was able to dedicate a few hours to the build.

After priming, and some light sanding to remove small blemishes -

Cleaned off the surface and applied pre-shading -

Lastly, I painted the bottom. I went with RLM 65 as instructed by the decal sheet. To create the RLM 65, I mixed 2 parts Tamiya XF-23 and 1 part XF-2.

• Profile Photo

A very nice start of the paintwork, Keith @greenterrorz

• Profile Photo
    Anthony Ricco said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Excellent @greenterrorz the paint is looking great so far.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Beautiful paintwork, my friend @greenterrorz! Nice RLM65!

• Profile Photo

Been a busy week between work, and bad weather hitting my area.

After getting the bottom painted, I let it cure for roughly 48 hours. I applied tamiya masking, in addition to sticky tac to the whole bottom as well as other areas I did not want to get paint on.

The decal sheet recommended to apply RLM 79a to the top, which I achieved by using Tamiya XF-60.

I first painted the whole top of the plane and let it cure for 24 hours. After the 24 hours was up, I masking once again to add in the white stripe, black detail on the wings, and RLM 65 on the few areas missed (little nubs on landing gear, PE part with paint peeling off, and horizontal stabilizer struts.)

Another picture of the bottom to highlight the landing gear being painted RLM 79a, as well as the white stripe painted onto the fuselage.

The black strip on the wings is Tamiya XF-1
    White stripe on fuselage = Tamiya XF-2

This was by far the most intricate masking I had ever had to do. The white stripe was exceptionally difficult. Masking the curved surface was a challenging task that I had not had to do before.

Thanks for stopping by,
    -Keith

• Profile Photo

You did great on this paintwork, Keith @greenterrorz

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Indeed, amazing paintwork, my friend @greenterrorz!

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Hey all,

I was able to get the decals on this weekend with a few minor hiccups.Also, I painted the bombs RLM 70.
    Prior to applying the decals, I applied Alclad Klear Note and allowed it to cure for roughly 24 hours.

The swastikas located on the vertical stabilizer came in multiple sections, requiring me to get them as close as I could. There was a hair line gap between showing the underlying brown paint, which I filled with XF-1.

Another issue was the German cross decal located on the bottom. Reference photos show that the cross should continue on the bar just above it, which was included as a decal. The decal would not adhere properly and did not look very appealing, so I decided to just leave it off.

RLM 70 - Tamiya XF-27

My next step will be to coat the whole thing with Alclad Aqua Gloss, followed by weathering. Hope to have this kit wrapped up by this upcoming weekend.

Thanks for stopping by,

• Keith
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great decal session, Keith @greenterrorz
    The corrections you did on the decals are well done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great looks so far, my friend @greenterrorz!
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Keith said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Hey all,
    This will be the last update prior to the build being completed.

I decided to go with a light weathering on this build. For the weathering process - I applied Alclad Aqua Gloss water based clear coat and let it cure for roughly 24 hours. Following the clear coat, I used black oil paint in conjunction with black and brown dry pigments.

The next and final steps will include:
    -Coating the build with Alclad Flat Clear Coat.
    -Installing the canopy and antenna as well as finishing up a few other odds and ends.

Cheers,
    Keith.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Nearly there, Keitzh @greenterrorz
    Very nice subtle weathering.