Airfix 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire FR XIV

Started by David Mills · 70 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Airfix, FR, Spitfire, Supermarine, XIV
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Great idea to put some plastic "teeth" in the nose to insure alignment, David. I'm sure I would have glued the nose piece on, wondered what happened, & then used putty. Looking forward to the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Not so sure it is a very defined panel line there, it´s more of a shadow due to the extra 3 mm armour over the fuel tank, no?

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 4 years, 9 months ago:

A bit of stop motion inspiration https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uicu4r4z2js

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 9 months ago:

David the photos say a lot more than what can be written. I had been reading several reviews of this kit and it got panned and labeled mediocre. With one chap just putting the kit aside. Which put me on the fence. However, your photo's and the response from what I
    have been reading from the guy's ,your comments and enthusiasm ...I get the sense that your have a little fun with this kit. I ended up picking up two kits because of it. Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Is it October already...?
    It's been a busy and eventful summer what with Sisters staying from NZ, and a new grandson arriving, so welcome Jesse !
    Bench time has been limited, so please forgive me if I have not been posting recently, but here are a few photos of progress. on the Spitfire!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Your workbench looks full again with all of your various builds. This late mark Airfix Spitfire should build up easier than your RS quest.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Looking very good David!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Looking good David! What scheme will you be painting this one in?

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Hi David, yes it is October, looking good so far on the Spit. Builds like yours motivates others to follow along and decide if they want to build this. Like Steve mentioned sometimes you can't always go by what others say about any particular kit. If you like the subject go for it. I have build kits that are difficult (Kitty Hawks) and the reviews about them can be quite negative. Yet if you want to build knowing going in the issues, have at it. Airfix has some outstanding products out there right now. And like any other manufacturer not all will be Tamiya like. But in the end, it will be a nice model to place next to the rest of your stable. Good to see ya back in the saddle.

• Profile Photo

Thank you George, I had to move out of my usual modelling lair while my sister!
    Just starting to get back to 'normal'.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Pedro I am hoping to post some more photos soon.

• Profile Photo

John@j-healy I am going to go for a 28 squadron aircraft operating out of Tengah in Singapore in a dark earth/dark green scheme!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Chuck@uscusn for your kind words! Its good to be making progress again!

• Profile Photo
    ADRIAN R HUMMEL said 4 years, 5 months ago:

What I have seen you are doing a super great job. I wish you all the very best.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Great pick, David. I like the SEAC scheme best for this airplane. Sorry for the late response. I’ve been busy this past month.