Airfix 1 72 Hurricane Mk 1 new tooling

Started by Gregor d · 18 · 10 years ago · 1/72, Airfix, Hurricane
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 2 months ago:

Following on from my review here is the progress i've made with the subsequent build. I have not encountered any real problems so far but would advise careful dry/test fitting with the wheel well assembly. once the upper part of the wing is "closed" over the constructed whell wells, alignment is importnat to avoid gaps along the wing seams. It was all a bit tight and i have to employ a bit of "encouragement" via the sanding stick! The cockpit details all go together without fuss and it all looks quite busy with the basic components provided. As you will see in the photos there is not much to see once the fuselage halfs are mated. So far so good then. This weekend I plan to have the main airframe assembled ready for a coat of primer.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good so far. The out of the box detail on the cockpit and wheel wells is amazing, especially for a 1/72 kit.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Agreed, it's looking good, Gregor. It's a far cry from the last 1/72 kit I built, that's for sure! Have you decided on a color scheme yet?

• Profile Photo
    Matthew Sorensen said 10 years, 1 month ago:

That looks really good, I've got to get one or two of these kits.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks guys! This issue only comes with one colour/decal option unless you want to do aftermarket. It will be finished in the earth brown/green scheme with half black half white under surfaces. Battle of France era. I'm planning on getting it to the painting stage by Monday so I should have some updated pics by then.

• Profile Photo

Quick update: Main airframe assembled - some filling completed . Hurri now being prepped for primer.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

That is looking good Gregor, some of these new Airfix toolings have improved their reputation again. looking forward to seeing the completed build .

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good so far ,what colour scheme will you be going for ?
    N.

• Profile Photo

Kit only comes with one scheme/markings option - 85 Sqdn RAF France 1940, so its the dark earth/green upper surfaces with half black/half white undersides.

• Profile Photo
    Mark Housley said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good Gregor, i just love these new Airfix kits and for very little money they are leading the way in the smaller scales. Cant wait for this years new releases
    i am looking forward to seeing this one finished Gregor

Regards
    Mark

• Profile Photo

Cheers Mark! Did a bit more over the weekend, and will post progress pics tomorrow.

• Profile Photo

More progress on the Hurri - Primed via rattle can, and underside painted half black. Upper surfaces given earth brown base coat. Next stage is to make masks (blu tak & newspaper/tamiya tape) to spray (rattle can) the green disruptive camo. Hopefully i'll get that done through the week.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good, Gregor!

Is this one going to have a fin flash, or the red-white-blue striped rudder?

• Profile Photo

Fin flash Jaime - its a real narrow version hard back against the rudder. In fact the markings on this kit are a bit unusual in terms of the fuselage roundels and the tricolour fin flash, which are not the norm!

• Profile Photo

Painted on basic/primary camo. Still need to do a bit of touch up. Used rattle cans for green and white. Brown & Black brushed on. I intend to weather the airframe so thats next.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.