Airfix Focke Wulf Fw 190 A-8 in 1/72 scale

Started by Bernd Müller · 18 · 9 years ago · Build report/Review
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Hi, some words before, i intended a build log about this little kit, but was unable to load up pictures, thankfully Martin solved this, but in the meantime there is much progress done.
    The pictures and text are up to the current stadium of this fun-to-build-one, i hope you like
    it anyway. This report contains also a lot of pictures from the parts/sprues and the decals,
    beside the relative heavy panel line i was impressed about the kit and it is a pleasure to build.

For weeks I was absent from the hobby, dusting off my workbench I found my
    projects, but before proceeding on them I needed something easy to start.
    since Airfix started a new line of products, I was interested in them. Easy to
    build with some great engineering and quality decals, the Focke Wulf was the one.
    Comparing the kit parts with photos and plans, I would say Airfix has done a good job
    with this kit. The panel lines are too deep for my taste, the kit has a good cockpit
    and great detailed wheel wells. The clear parts are well above the RoG parts, in
    the end it went immediately on my bench.
    The first step was to clean the parts in warm soapy water. Construction was straight
    forward, there are no real problems, the two fuselage parts are warped, but the
    plastic is very soft. The instrument panel can be detailed with a decal for the instruments,
    The instrument panel sits to far forward, I changed this, as seen in the pictures.
    Eduard produces a PE-set for this kit, but it doubles the the price for the kit, in the end, after The fuselage is closed, only the seat is visible. The instructions are very clear and I followed them, after the main construction was done I had to fill some gaps, because I glued the parts to fast together ( bad habits die hard).
    The plastic gun barrels and the pitot looked too clumsy so I purchased a metal set from
    Master, You can see in the pics, that they are open on the front !
    After the main construction was done, I primed the little kit with a dark gray paint, Humbrol
    No.32 acrylic. The outcome was a bit too rough, so I sanded the paint, in the end the whole
    paint disappeared, hmm until that point I thought my wash was successful. But the paint
    stayed in the panel lines and this was a good thing !
    For the factory applied three tone camo in the RLM shades 74/75/76 I mixed acrylic
    paints from Revell and Humbrol together and applied them with my Badger 150.
    It was the first try with blue tack to get the camo edges right, it worked not so good
    and in the end I sprayed the colors freehand. But this experience will be helpful on
    later RAF camos. The color scheme was redone after the masks are off, because
    of the wrong contrast for the upper colors.
    For the markings I purchased a decal sheet from Sky Models for a JG 5 aircraft, but they
    arrived too late, so I did the kit markings for a plane from the Jagdgruppe 10 with the
    snake on the sides. This unit belongs to the Luftwaffe testcenter in Rechlin in fall
    1944, i did not find much pictures of this aircraft, it can be true, that it was an aircraft
    equipped with rocket launchers. The only photo shows the pilots before the fuselage
    and it can be seen, that the sides of the aircraft are resprayed with large dapples of
    a dark color, maybe RLM 74.
    The kit-decals worked great, printed by Cartograf, they have minimal carrier film and
    react great wit Sol.
    So much for this, more will come in the next time, one of the most evil things, mankind
    ever developed is this "entf" button on the keyboard,grmmmph

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Great work Bernd! Looks like your almost finished. I've got this kit in the stash 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hi Gregor, thank you for your positive comment, the fiddly part is still to do, all the antennas...
    the clear parts still need a lot of TLC and the wheels as well.
    Most of my kits are in 1/48, so 1/72 is a challenge, here is a pic from the propeller incl.
    the painted spinner looks good with the eyeball, but my camera didn t like me, i guess :-/
    Bernd

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I also have this kit on my "to do" shelf so I'm watching & reading with interest. So far I very much like what I see.

• Profile Photo

Al, put it out of your huge stash and start it ! It is fun ! But if you have the early Hurricane I
    with the fabric wings, take that one.
    Thank you very much for your comment 🙂

Bernd

• Profile Photo

Here is a little update on my Fw 190. I corrected the spiral on the spinner, not 100% but slightly better, the fan behind was painted black, after the paint was dry, it was drybrushed
    with sanded graphite from a pencil, the gun barrels received the same treatment.

The antennas were added under the fuselage, offset to port, according to the Squadron
    "Walkaround" volume. The pitot tube is from the same Master -Set for the guns, looks way better. The cowling guns are not fitted yet.I am using for my builds some aftermarked articles but not too much, only were a kit needs really help or i !
    There are still some touch ups to do, more antennas, the shackle from the bomb rack is to
    fix.
    Maybe not a highly detailed build but relaxing

Bernd

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good Bernd, I also have this kit in my stash too, and just recently looked at it.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looks like you are about there Bernd.

• Profile Photo

Very nice. The camo looks very convincing.

• Profile Photo

Thank you for all the nice comments
    @ Simon : As said it went near perfectly together, the instrument panel sits too far forward
    but not much will be seen.

@ Al : I hope i got this one finished today, i am very unstable as modeller, can t choose whats next, so i build in categorys. The 1/72 project is nearly finished, the next ones can be the
    Airfix Spitfire I of the "fabric" Hurribane or the brand new RoG F4U Corsair:

@Gregor: The first time i used self mixed acrylics, did some touch-ups yesterday, the
    idea using "Blue Tack" with some more practise will be hopefully working on RAF camos

• Profile Photo

Hi Bernd. I've used Blue Tack for masking camo on RAF schemes with no problems - should work a treat for you. An example of that can be seen on my Spitfires Article I did a while back.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Bernd, looks like I've arrived at the party late, but you've definitely done a great job on the FW. I see what you mean about the decals working well, you did a beautiful job with them, they look painted on. Well done.

• Profile Photo

Good morning Gregor, its nice as always, i believe my Blue Tack sausages were a tad too thick, this will be improved on the next one.
    Your Spit/ Seafires are a great inspiration. While the 190 is nearly done, the follower in this scale will be the Spitfire Mk.Ia, The spuadron codes in the box look perfect !
    A bit late for the groub build i guess.

Hi Rick, it was not quite a build log, more a to finish log, it was a total relaxing build.
    And yes, the decals (white parts incl.) worked perfectly.
    I believe the Airfix decals will work on your great builds as well.

Happy modelling, mates 🙂

• Profile Photo

Cheers Bernd! I look forward to seeing your Focke Wulf in Headlines.

• Profile Photo

I hope i finish this one today, beeing very busy, got new stuff in stock. Littly Spitty is taking
    a bath in soapy water 🙂