Airfix’s 1/48 Javelin

Started by Josh Patterson · 4 · 10 years ago · Airfix, Gloster, Javelin
  • Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Getting the cockpit together on Airfix's Javelin. There seems to be a stigma around tube glue nowadays, but here you can see how I put it to double duty! One I get a bead and the glue dries, simply shave it off and sand lightly and your done! (Unless you wind up with a step between two parts, but not happening on this kit! It rocks!) Another neat feature are separate covers for the wheel wells if you do a gear up bird. These will be installed with Elmer's glue as painting masks!

Normally I'll build a cockpit clean or with minor wear and tear not unlike a pampered warbird, but this being all black needed a little more to make it interesting! I also modified the exhaust nozzles to allow attachment after painting.

Now I just need to decide between silver or grey for the underside. I've seen both so I don't know what's appropriate!

I would like to add that my new favorite "cool color" from Model Master is "grease and oil"! It runs into cracks and flows like oil and has a similar sheen! Great for wheel wells or radial engine puke! (What round engined bird would look right without it?)

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Looks good Josh.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Lovely job Josh, like the cockpit.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Airfix did an absolutely awesome job on this kit! Everything just falls into place and it will be very sturdy when completed! I really like how the wings attach along a natural seam and when put together looks the same as any other panel line on the plane! A real joy to build!