AMP Bristol 171 Sycamore HR14 on 1/48

Started by Stan Forier · 19 · 3 months ago · AMP helicopter Bristol Sycamore
  • Profile Photo
    Stan Forier said 6 months ago:

After an short side step into car building, I return to building aircraft with the Bristol Sycamore HR 14B. I chose to build the BAF version which serviced in Belgian Congo in the 1950's.
    First few days were spent on assembling the cockpit. Great detail, really really astonishing with quite some PE. Flash cleanup is necessary, it's a short run kit I think, but it's certainly worth the effort

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stan Forier said 6 months ago:

Some more pics of the helicopter and a link to the kit on scalemates.
    https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amp-48010-bristol-171-sycamore-mk-52-mk-14-hr14--1192261

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months ago:

Another great entry and ditto progress, my friend @stakke! This is a challenging kit, but an easy task for your awesome skills.
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months ago:

Beautiful entry, Stan @stakke
    Lots of parts for the interior but seems like you get it nicely together.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

This will be a great model, Stan (@stakke). I have always liked the way the Sycamore looked. I have the old Glencoe 1/72 version still in the box, but I am sure this is clearly a much better version. Looking forward to following your build.

• Profile Photo
    Stan Forier said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Cockpit is coming together nicely, painting the different parts but came across this: the instrument panel consists of a flat backpiece, a decal and a PE front cover. And then I noticed the decal is way too big for the front cover AND the deals are not in the right order... wtf? Major glitch of AMP imho.
    Sooo, what can we do? Right, cutting out every dial and placing it in the right spot. I marked the correct spots on the backpiece with a small drill bit. I'll post the result soon.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Pity that the decal was to big, my friend @stakke! Kudos to your patience cutting out each individual dial! Looking forward to the result!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great save on the instrument panel, Stan (@stakke).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

A lot of work definitely paid off, Stan @stakke

• Profile Photo
    Stan Forier said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Cockpit is done by now. Instrument panel turned out great. Seats are a bit fragile but no problems with the interior so far. The manual however isn't always very clear. Assembling the fuselage was a bit fiddly. Parts didn't fit as snug as expected, partly due to some flash. Some trimming, cutting and sanding was required and I used a different order assembling the different pieces.

Doing the clear parts of the fuselage right now. Having a blast alltogether, I like the kit. Gonna tint some Windows too. Any suggesties on that regarding how?

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice cockpit, my friend @stakke! I usually tint my windows with Humbrol clear paints, but with varying degrees of success (possibly because I brush paint them). Have heard that Tamiya clear paints are great, they can be airbrushed at thin layers, you stop when you feel your window's tint is right.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Cockpit looks great indeed, Stan @stakke
    Unfortunately I have no experience with those clear paints.

• Profile Photo
    Stan Forier said 4 months ago:

Assembly of the fuselage is done. It needed quite some fitting, sanding and filling in some area's. Since I'm going for a natural metal finish which shows all imperfections special care is neccesary. However after painting with Vallejo Metal Color (great paint btw) there are still some... 🙂
    Also started wheathering in situ with oil paint

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

Great progress, Stan @stakke
    Not easy to hide all the imperfections with a natural metal finish, but it looks quite nice already.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Great progress and super looks, my friend @stakke!