Avia S-199, 1/48, HobbyCraft, Eduard, AML and scratchbuilt!

Started by Erik Gjørup · 92 · 6 months ago · 1/48, 109werke, avia, Czech, Haldværk, Messerschmitt, Mezek, s-199
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Avia S-199

I have started this build in my ”Kindergarden” for 109’s, and to catch up on that one click on the name in this line

This build will be using a Hobby Craft Avia S-199 and two Eduard Bf 109’s to make one plane. A bit overkill? – well, I have to make me one before Eduard launches their fully fledged kit of the Avia S-199. The HobbyCraft kit is somewhat basic, and has a few errors. Most of them has been addressed in the kindergarden topic, so just a short update here; The fuselages do line up nicely – there are some mis-alignment in the front, mostly forward of the windscreen.

I have re-used a fuselage from a Eduard Bf 109G-6, and the nose from the Avia S-199 kit is sawn off 2mm aft of the panelline.

Just a few more pictures to show how nicely they follow each other

The difference is in thepanellines forward of the windscreen as I pointed out, and the full length of the fuselages are remarkably close.

Rough-cut parts

The wing is from an eduard Bf 109G-10, making good use of no less than 3 kits as I mentioned.

next up some more nosesurgery - tune in again later to check progress!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Love your kit bashing modifications, my friend @airbum!
    Yes, the forthcoming Eduard might make things much easier, but I love seeing all your great craftsmanship here!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Good you made a seperate topic on this 199, Erik. @airbum
    You are doing some serious surgery on these.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

This is interesting, Erik. A real skill building project. While lacking in details, the HC kit doesn’t look too bad in the shape and dimension departments compared to the Eduard 109. I built one of those HC Avias when they came out and was pleased with it.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking forward to this S-199, Erik (@airbum). It looks like a fun build that will be fun to follow. I don't do a lot of kitbashing, but it gets fun and rewarding once you get started.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thank you gents.
    @fiveten, hopefully I will get this one done before Eduard gets their S-199 out
    @johnb, I usually start in the kindergarten when I have something I compare to other stuff, and also when I do not quite know what it is going to be in the end regarding markings and such.
    @j-healy, The base kit is indeed not bad at all, and will build into a fully acceptable model – and if you add AM parts intended for the kit it is going to look great too.
    @gblair, stay tuned. I have found it rather pleasing after a few resin conversions, and I could just have done some riveting and stuff on this one, but once the ball gets rolling. . . .
    Another update here;

Too close, I think

Having had a fair share of armchair aviation, I find the intake is too close on the exhausts

I did address this in the kindergarten, but lets just re-visit. From pictures it is quite obvious there need to be just a fraction more space in this area

While I’m on a roll I think the intake to cool the sparkplugs is a bit basic too

I cut a large chunk of eduard cowling from the sawn off part

I cut a hole to insert the part, and dryfitted it.

Then just for the fun of it, laid it all out to check alignment and such

Could be worse. I’ll glue that in and then some more filing to open up the hole for the exhausts

I am indeed having fun with this one, and off camera the wing is getting assembled – I also have to get started on the other half of the fuselage.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Have to say that your works is very precise, Erik @airbum
    Fitting and alignment is close to perfection.
    To me it would be nerve breaking to do such a surgery.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 10 months ago:

looks very nice! I suspect that with such a scope of work I would already go crazy 😉

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Yep, looking great, my friend @airbum! Best part is that you have fun with it!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 9 months ago:

@johnb, thank you, but in real life it is not too good. Will get it there though
    @lis, I were crazy even before I started so no harm done
    @fiveten, The fun-factor is high as you have discovered with your numerous mods on the PFP projects

Another update here;

Wings and another half

In order to get all the finetuning and dryfitting done I assembled the wing

Standard Eduard assembly – no surprises there

I could have added some AM channels, but decided this time to leave it as is.

With the wing cured it was time to get a major fit check

The left side was cut into the cowling – never again! It is far too complicated, and makes alignment a very complicated affair.

now I will have to get some armchair-time to check the openings, but I am rather convinced they need to be covered and another ejector thing made. It is not in the kit, but perhaps the resinparts have them?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @airbum!
    Some gap filling job is ahead of you, though...

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Some modifications to be done Erik. @airbum
    In your hands it will turn out nicely.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 9 months ago:

fantastic work!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 4 months ago:

@fiveten, @johnb and @lis finally I got around to this one again.

Nose.

One of the very obvious differences is of course the nose

I did not get around to filling yet, but at least I glued the bulges in place before my absence

They make the eduard kit gap quite a bit, so out came the saw again.

I glued the nose to the left fuselage half

Making it a bit more controllable to progress from here.

and before you tell me that eduard has plans to make the S-199 and a lot of other stuff, their newsletter mentioned no such thing for the first half of 2022 – who knows, I might even get this done before I can buy a complete new nice kit of it. . . . – but where is the fun in that?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Surely what you do here is pure fun, my friend @airbum! And looks excellent so far!