B-17 ”The Swoose 1944 Model”, Monogram 1/48 B-17G Build

Started by Walt · 102 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

This wood is amazing, @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Nice progress.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Totally agree with spiros here - awesome might be added!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Well its been a couple weeks or so, and I have taken some time to work on the interior. I don't get much model time, which is part of the reason I am so slow. That said, there in a lot of stuff to paint inside a B-17. It has been many years since I built this kit and I don't remember the detail as being so soft. Still it didn't turn out too bad. I have included pictures showing the interior just painted, and then with the wash. For the interior the wash can be heavy, as shadows inside an aircraft or deep and dark. Importantly the wash brings depth and dimension to the panels. They become much more three dimensional when you add the wash. Next I glue in the windows and put the two halves together. The wings are already together.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That is one fine interior!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

What a wonderful interior, Walt B @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Interior looks great. Too bad a lot of it will be hard to see once you button everything up.

• Profile Photo

It is true you don't see much, but you will often hear the phrase, "but I know it's there". I look at it as part of the fun of the build and practice for kits where you can see the detail. I have the HK Models B-17 and the detail inside it is incredible. I guess I will have to just look at the pictures once it is all put together, and tell everyone "I know it's there".

• Profile Photo

Well true to form for most my builds I have been on hold. Between work and getting a new HVAC system for the house, installing new attic ladder and flooring out the attic in my garage I haven't had much model time. I also have been waiting for a month for these little goodies. Master-Model of Poland makes brass machine gun barrels that are simply stunning. I splurged and ordered them back in June to replace the too thick kit barrels. I remember when this kit came out in the 70's the barrels were much more to scale than the way over-sized barrels that are in the current edition of the kit. Now I can prep and install the guns in the nose area before closing it up and install the barrels later in the build.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Those barrels are trully stunning!

• Profile Photo

The Master-Model parts are usually a lot better than kit-parts, and whenever I get a chance I use his products as well. Looking forward to see these incorporated into your build @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo

The two nose guns are the only ones that have to be glued into the plane before joining the halves together. I did the first one and you can see the difference between the kit part and the gun with the Model-Master barrel.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The difference is obvious. The gun looks are boosted.

• Profile Photo

What a difference - they are really making the guns stand out.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

I have never used replacement machine gun barrels, but I think about it every time I build a model that has a barrel sticking out from part of the plane in an awkward place. The glass nose of a B-25 comes to mind. I usually cut off the barrel, mask the part, paint it, then add the barrel when I am done. These barrels would essentially allow the same thing. Oh, no, one more thing to buy for a kit.

• Profile Photo

I know, you buy a kit, for a reasonable price and then add all kinds of costs with additional parts. I am thinking for my next B-17 I may get the quick boost version. It is a third the cost of the Model-Master Barrels and look pretty good too. Being and amateur machinist though I had to get the Model-Master set just to admire the machine work which is beautiful!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.