B-17 "The Swoose 1944 Model", Monogram 1/48 B-17G Build

Started by Walt · 2 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Walt said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Well here we go, I am an extremely slow builder, but it is my hope that blogging it here will entice me to build at a more consistent pace. Of course the fact that I work 60 hours a week and tinker on vintage cars, take care of my yard and house as well as my ill wife may have some impact on my pace.

All that aside I am excited about this build. I am using the Monogram kit, I started re-scribing it years ago and am pretty much done. One of the thing I discovered long ago was that before you move on take pictures because your errors seem to pop under the unforgiving eye of the camera. I have done all the panel lines and now I have to go back and fix my mistakes. I circled one of my mistakes in the picture. I started the build with the wings, closing out the air inlets, opening the air inlet scoops and drilling out the exhaust. I am discovered from pictures that a great deal of the wheel wells are fiction in the Monogram kit. It is not my goal to correct that because for the most part no one will ever see that anyways. Once I put the wings together, I will begin work on the fuselage, as you can see I have lots of aftermarket thanks to my very good friend Ed. I will not use it all but selectively to produce the best results with the least amount of work. (MAYBE)

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 1 month ago:

I would be willing to bet most people won't notice any problems at all with the scribing. They stand out to you because you know about them. I would bet it you hadn't said anything no one would have noticed. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the build.