Bf-109 J / Ha-1109 conversion, SBS-model 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 125 · 1 year ago · airbum, Bf109, Ha1109, sbsmodel, Tripala
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Thank you John, I have to say I'm quite happy with the result too. I should have pointed the camera a bit down to show the lap-belts too, they add a lot to the cockpit. Perhaps when the shoulderbelts gets installed. .

@JohnB

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I love this cockpit too, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Erik my friend, @airbum
    It has been too long since I have commented on any of your builds. I have had the opportunity to stop by and look at the well thought out and researched work you have been doing. I want you to know that I don't always get a chance to comment, but I do make regular visits to see how your 109 "nursery" projects are progressing.

I must say that I am particularly impressed with this build. The extra steps you have gone to ensure the accuracy is noteworthy, and speaks volumes about your dedication to the 109 aircraft in general. The Voltmeter instrument addition is something that 99.5 percent of all 109 "Experten" wouldn't have known about, yet you covered this perfectly. I have come to know you as my friend who knows all about the 109. Should I ever have a question that is anything 109 related, you know who I will be reaching out to... 🙂

These latest updates show that you are quickly approaching the paint shop. I can't wait to see what is coming up next. This build is looking fantastic, but to be fair, all of your models look this way.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thank you my friends. This one has been left alone for far too long, and is due for attention any time now. SBSmodel has just released the kit to make a HA-1112 in 1/48, and I have to order a handful of those conversions too, so one day there will be another 109-version on the shelf!

@fiveten
    @lgardner

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Oh that looks nice! I hope to see this one. I’m following this too. This whole build (though I’ve only seen it for the past 20 minutes) has been interesting, and I cannot wait for the end result. The cockpit looks nice, and so does your engine to fuselage surgery.

• Profile Photo

Jordyn (@1corsair64), no worries - I will do my utmost to get one going as soon as time permits. These conversions do need the rather expensive new Tamiya 109G-6, but fortunately a Danish shop has a sale on all Tamiya stuff, so one will be ordered for later conversion.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

(As usual) You can never have too many 1109s, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Quite right Spiros (@fiveten), quite right. Well here is a small update on the 1109;

Primer, part 1

First round of primer airbrushed

And from the initial looks of it also the last. I will of course sand the plane to check for smoothness as it Is going to be a single-color plane, but at least the paint will be the easy part.

The repair between resin and styrene looks OK.

The right side looks OK too

Though there is a very small hole that needs some attention in the lower corner of the resin part. The nosering will need a bit of attention too. But all in all it is just about ready for paint

The next time this one pops up here it should be painted

• Profile Photo

How nice to have your model primed, my friend @airbum!
    Looks nice and uniform, will look perfect after your minor remedial actions!
    Looking forward to yet another 109 coming along!

• Profile Photo

How nice to have your model primed, my friend @airbum!
    Looks nice and uniform, will look perfect after your minor remedial actions!
    Looking forward to yet another 109 coming along!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

It went on very well, Erik.
    Those minor corrections should be easy doable with your expertise.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@JohnB). I have started my research, and so far I have seen the color on the early 1109 described as "Barracks Grey" and "Sad Grey". At least most agree it should be some sort of grey, and the preserved HA.1109-K1L in Madrid is some sort of light grey. I will dig a lot deeper into this, as there most likely will be more HA messerschmitts in my future.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

And painted it is!

The color it is supposed to have is either “Barracks Grey” or “Sad Grey”

I have been trying to get the correct color, and some may say that they were “Legion Condor” colored. As they were manufactured a bit after the war, I think not. The one preserved is some sort of light aircraft Grey. . .

And in my last batch of paint from the worlds biggest aircraft carrier (England), there was a paint called RAF Light Aircraft Grey.

And so it was. I painted it in two rounds with some thinned down paint. Xtracolor dries very fast when thinned with their “in-house” thinner.

Now it will have to be very dry as it is a uniform color and to handle it I will have to touch the paint, so once again it will be a long wait for the next post – feel free to comment on the color or whatever you feel like to comment on. Thanks for watching.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Better to wait than to ruin this uniform layer, Erik.
    It looks great.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Coming along nice, Erik. I’m thinking of buying this set.