Bf-109 J / Ha-1109 conversion, SBS-model 1/48 FINISHED

Started by Erik Gjørup · 125 · 1 year ago · airbum, Bf109, Ha1109, sbsmodel, Tripala
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Nice result, my friend @airbum!
    LqS adhered ok onto the styrene!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

If you don't want to make your own putty, Mr Hobby sells it as Mr Dissolved Putty. I saw it advertised just yesterday on one of the online sites.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Flappin’ update

The upper flap is positioned

I went ahead and glued the upper flap sections to the wing with some LqS

And with those in place, the lower flaps and nacelles will get in soon

a new bottle of Cyano arrived today, and soon it will be time to get the resin parts installed

• Profile Photo

Nice steps, my friend @airbum! and good use of LqS!

• Profile Photo

Looks great, Erik (@airbum). Have you had to add more solvent to your jar of styrene, or has it held its consistency?

• Profile Photo

George (@gblair) I kept the mix for this operation, but I have added more styrene to thicken it now. Still waiting to give it a try with the thicker mix.

• Profile Photo

And they’re in

Tried out the new Cyano (Sekundlim) today

I got hold of two different bottles, one labelled as thin, the other as thick. The last one I did consider a bit thin, and so that was opened for the project.

The parts fit a bit tight when I testfitted, but I went ahead and glued them up anyway. That was a mistake! They were not willing to fit anymore, and after almost glueing myself to the plane, I let the glue dry and cut away a fraction more. That did the trick, and even though I had to pry some of the parts free they cleaned up acceptably.

While I were at it I glued the modified instrumentpanel in. It is very different from a 109G – more like a 109K, and then again not quite. The instructions wants you to reuse the kits panel, but as I plan on a open hood, that simply will not do.

I fashioned mine out of a Photoetched panel for a (fujimi?) 109K and some spareparts, adding individual instrument decals back when I originally did the panel.

The Ha-1109 was unarmed, and they did not have a sight, so the hole was covered with a blob of LqS.

I still need one instrument, but that will be found soon – it has been left out because of the need to make a bulged glass. Fortunately it is not a Buchon, as they had completely different panels – with modern things like ADF and so forth.

And with that done it will be time for some glass and masks soon

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great progress, Erik. @airbum
    That 'modern' voltmeter is indeed nicely presented, like the rest of that interior.

• Profile Photo

Thank you John, and it is "just" a decal, but on camera it looks nice. . .

• Profile Photo

The interior looks great, Erik (@airbum), and your dedication to recreating a faithful reproduction is amazing. Great job.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George (@gblair) Doin' my best, and aiming to improve 🙂

• Profile Photo

Looking great indeed, my friend @airbum!
    THAT voltmeter!
    And I can see you unleash LqS's potential gradually!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks Spyros @fiveten, another small update comin' up

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Look out

Now the pilot is able to look out the windscreen

Nothing much in terms of progress, but at least one step closer to masking!

The windscreen did put up a fight, partly because I did not trim it enough before trying to commit to glue. The tight fit meant that white glue was out of the question, and with the different materials different types of glue had to be used. Well, it came out OK I think.

And with the panel now protected I can relax a tiny bit when handling the kite.

As I have explained earlier, the Ha-1109 and Ha-1112 had a somewhat different panel, and while there are lots of Ha-1112 panel pictures, I had some problem dusting up a picture of an early Ha-1109. I did settle for this version though, Some PE borrowed from a 109K etch, some white glue, some decals and styrene parts. This version was unarmed, and had no “Revi”.

Still some busy days, but hope to get things moving on a few of the builds now and then – feel free to comment and stay safe everyone, especially now the numbers are skyrocketing again

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Small steps can make the difference, Erik.
    It looks great to me.