Brewster B339 Buffalo (Tamiya 1/48), KNIL 1942

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 152 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year ago:

Looking good, John! The Buffalo is one of my favorites . That replica at the museum looks very well done

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

@fiveten, @j-healy, thanks a lot. The replica is indeed great to look at. Iy can be found in the Dutch National Military museum in Soesterberg,

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year ago:

Interior is looking good, John (@johnb). This will be fun to watch. I have a couple of these lurking in the stash. I want to do a Navy trainer version, but that is farther down the build queue.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year ago:

@gblair, thank you, George. Till now this is a very pleasant kit to build.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 12 months ago:

Fuselage is closed up and this went without too much difficulties. First closed up the rear section followed by the front section.

Engine painted and mounted. Needs a bit more detail painting.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 12 months ago:

This kit's a classic. You're off to a great start.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 12 months ago:

This is one of Tamiya's really old kits (1st released in 1974), but it seems to be coming together well, John (@johnb). I watched a documentary this morning on the design of the Buffalo, which was competing with the Wildcat as the Navy's carrier fighter.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Progressing beautifully, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo

@tcinla, thank you, Tom. A classic but still an enjoyable kit.

@gblair, thanks, George. I was not aware of that, I can imagine both had their own advantages and disadvantages.

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros.

• Profile Photo

Upper surface of the wings are glued onto the lower surface. Next was adding the floor and the center stick to the lower wing surface. Never mounted a cockpit floor this way. Likely this has to do with the window mounted at the lower surface of the aircraft giving the pilot a clear view below the aircraft.

The clear part used for that does however require a lot of masks. Time consuming but very helpful. Not pre-cutted unfortunately.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 12 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @johnb! Pity that the provided masks are not precut 🙁, a side step from Tamiya. The masked so far window looks nice!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thank you, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 12 months ago:

Everything is coming along nicely, John (@johnb). Cutting out these masks is just one step above creating your own masks. It still has to be a pain to cut out all of those individual masks on a plane like this.

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thanks a lot, George. Indeed time consuming but in the end very helpful.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 11 months, 4 weeks ago:

Tail cone section and horizontal stabilizers applied.