Brewster B339 Buffalo (Tamiya 1/48), KNIL 1942

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 152 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

It came out great, John (@johnb). I can usually judge how much to thin something for the airbrush just by looking, but sometimes it fights back.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Landing gear mounted and some cleaining up work done on the belly window. The fit on that window was not very precise but could easily be corrected.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

Great progress, my friend @johnb! Indeed, some small work on the window is needed, easily tackled by your skills.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 4 weeks ago:

@fiveten, thanks, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Gear looks great, John (@johnb). Good catch on removing the fins.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

@gblair, thank you, George. Luckily it was mentioned in the instructions, otherwise I would like have forgotten to do so.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

After a busy week, installing a small solar panel system on the roof of my garden shed, I finally got some progress on the Buffalo. Pre-shading done, timeto get the camouflage on.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Not too much a modeling week, but, nevertheless, a very productive week, my friend @johnb! The Buffalo looks super!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten, thanks a lot, Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

I found that that these pipettes work great for portioning out paint and thinner in fairly reliable quantities. For small paint jobs, one pipette of paint with one one and a half pipettes of Mr Leveling Thinner usually works well. For larger jobs, three to five pipettes of paint to 6 or 7 thinner works. For detail painting, at very low pressure (10-12 PSI) I will slowly add more thinner. I always test before spraying it because I occasionally get it to thin or too thick.

You can get these pipettes very inexpensively on Amazon. I think I got 1000 for something like $10 U.S. The other thing that helps me is the plastic container (cookie jar style). I keep these in front of me just above head level and it makes it easy to get them and use them as needed.

The Buffalo is coming along fine John (@johnb). Everytime I see this posting, I think about pulling out the one I have. So many kits, so many choices.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Pre-shading looks perfect, John (@johnb). It should really look great. I think I got the same pipettes on Amazon several years ago. The only problem is that after a few years the unused ones start to lose their elasticity and crack when you squeeze the bulb. Mine are really old though, perhaps as much as 15 or 20 years old. They are really useful in their "un-cracked" configuration.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

Fantastic Job! I love Buffalo! I remember Matchbox 1:72 kit with the same markings!

• Profile Photo

@clipper, thank you, Carl. Not the best pre-shading indeed, just a little too thin. Usually I try to combine paintworks of various objects. In this case I pre-shaded the Buffalo and also painted interior for the Mirage eggplane and Corsair which I'm working on. If you build one at a time, it is definitely more convenient to make use of those pipettes. Your bench looks very well organized.

@gblair, thanks a lot, George.

@lis, thank you, Bernard. Did the Matchbox kit also have decals for the KNIL scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 2 weeks ago:

These pipettes look very useful, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Lower surface color applied, used the Vallejo Metal color, silver, for that.