Building the Modelsvit 1/48 P-51H Mustang

Started by Tom Cleaver · 14 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Modelers have long been dissatisfied with the available kits for the final P-51, the P-51H. Two kits were released in 1999 - one from HiPM and one from Classic Airframes. Both were wanting. The HiPM kit was just flat out wrong - wrong shape, dimensions, outline, detail, there was nothing good to say other than it existed. The Classic Airframes kit was closer in outline accuracy and had a decent resin cockpit. Fit was terrible; I just looked at a review i did back then of the model, and it is the very definition of "putty monster", covered in red Bondo. I even did two, with the second one better having learned the hard way on the first one. You can see the second one here in my blog at iModeler. It looks "OK-ish."

Having discovered Modelsvit kits this year (actually last year, they were the ones who did the design and mold for the AMG Bf-109A/B kits, and have now released their own, the C/D), I was optimistic when I learned they were set to release a P-51H. The CAD drawings looked nice. I told Scott Zuieback to let me know when he got it.

That happened this past Monday. I hot footed it over to the warehouse and grabbed one.

Opening the box, one is immediately struck by the beautiful surface detail - it's comparable to the Eduard P-51D kits. Petite riveting that's hard to see at a distance past a foot (the way it should be), delicate engraved detail. Modelsvit paid attention to the Eduard and Airfix Mustangs when they set out to do this. Decals are nice, with markings for three NMF ANG aircraft and the P-51H sent to the RAF for evaluation in 1945, in RAF camouflage. The canopy is thick but accurately shaped and optically clear, with open and closed options.

I can resist everything but temptation, so I dived right in. Over two days, I got the model assembled and to the stage where painting is next.

The most important thing I learned is this: this is a high-end LIMITED RUN KIT. It does look like the Eduard kit when assembled in terms of nice detail, but if you think it's the Eduard kit while working on it, you will be sorely disappointed and unsuccessful. Remember the rule: test fit three times before gluing once. If you do, and take care in assembly, you too can have a model that has minimum filler on it (I only had to apply some CA glue to the centerline seam in the radiator scoop), as the photos below demonstrate.

When assembling the cockpit, the major sub-assembly, I first attached all the small parts to the larger parts (sidewalls and floor), then painted everything still on the sprue. Modelsvit wants you to then assemble the cockpit completely and glue it to a fuselage half. Having done some test-fitting and realized this was not a mainstream injection-molded kit, I opted to attacch the left sidewall to that fuselage half, then attach the forward and rear bulkheads and the floot. This decision was rewarded with my ability to sand down and reshape the parts to fit into the fuselage properly, which they would not have done following the kit instructions. I also found that as designed, the seat and armor backing will sit too low. I attached the seat to the armor backing and then attached it to the rear bulkhead about 1/16 inch higher than the attachment points would have it. This put it right. I then attached the right sidewall to that fuselage half. Everything came together with perfect fit.

The other major sub-assembly is the wing. I assembled the gear well, then when I went to attach the upper wing part, I found the walls of the gear well were a bit high. I sanded them down till the upper wing part fit as it should, this was only sanding down a very little bit, but getting the wing sub-assembly to fit properly will lead to you being able to attach it to the fuselage without filler at the upper wing-fuselage joint. I discovered there were gaps at the upper rear of the fuselage-wing joint, and at the forward wing-fuselage joint on the bottom. These were taken care of with 10-mil sheet styrene, glued in position and then trimmed to shape. I did not need any filler for this. I found when I went to attach the flaps and ailerons that I should not have glued the upper and lower wing parts together there, because the gaps are necessary. I was able to cut them apart, and then the flaps and ailerons fitted very nicely - again test fit three times before gluing once.

The horizontal stabilizers fit well - be sure to check alignment to be certain they are level. The elevators as designed fit in the neutral position. I scraped their leading edge to the angle i wanted and attached them in a "drooped" position.

The antennas are butt-fitted and that.s not good. I dug out a little bit at their attachment points to give them a little "snuggle space" and glued them in. So far, so good, but be careful, they're going to be easy to knock off whatever you do.

The canopy needed test fitting and I had to sand down the windshield at its forward edge to get proper fit. I also trimmed down the instrument panel coaming and thinned the interior of the windscreen at the forward edge so it would fit properly. Test fit three times before gluing once. To position the canopy in the open position, you need to sand down the rear deck to about half its thickness, and be sure it is positioned at the top edge of the canopy frame. If you had sanded down the little "ridge" along the centerline right aft of the canopy, it will then fit in the proper position (with the rear end jsut touching the top of the fuselage). Test fit three times before gluing once.

Next step: painting.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks for sharing Tom.

Mine came in the mail this evening, and I'm a bit unsure whether I'm up for starting at it right away. The sprues look good, save for the clear tree. Unfortunately in my shot of the kit there appears to be some dark contamination in the plastic. Fortunately, it only made its way into one of the canopies, albeit right on a clear portion. Still excited to see how it builds up!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks, Tom. I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I also got their Bf109C-3, which also looks pretty good. Both of them are in line to build soon. Your info on the Mustang will be very useful. I'm looking forward to seeing yours with paint and decals.

• Profile Photo

Watch for the full review on January 2.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks from me too Tom. I just got mine at the mailbox.

• Profile Photo

Painting.

Once the model had set up and all was solid, it was time for painting.

I gave the model an overall coat of Tamiya X-1 "Gloss Black" in preparation for applying the Vallejo acrylic metal paint.

The kit would have you paint the NMF finish, then use the masks provided to apply the color areas. With the fragility of Vallejo (I ONLY mask over it with very low-tack drafting tape, which never pulls up paint), it was apparent that even the masks the kit provided could pull up paint, not to mention the additional tape needed to cover areas and prevent overspray.

So, I decided to make "reverse masks" so I could paint the color first, then mask it, then do the metal finish. Naturally, never wanting to take the easy path, I wanted to do the Massachusetts ANG option, which involved some complicated masking either way.

First, after applying the gloss black, I then airbrushed X-2 Gloss White (because it gives a smoother finished surface) to the areas of the model that would be painted yellow - the nose, the tail and the wingtips.

I then created a mask over the black area for the anti-glare panel and the area of the exhausts. I did a "forward" piece, an "aft" piece and then some straight tape to get the exhaust area covered.

When the white was dry, I shot a mixture of X-7 Red and X-8 Lemon Yellow (going for "Insignia Yellow)) over the white areas and let it dry.

I took the kit mask and put it on a sheet of paper, then traced it out, then cut it out with scissors. I then used a roll of 3/4 inch Tamiya tape, cutting a strip, then tracing around the paper masking guide, cutting it out and applying that outline mask to the yellow area, then using more Tamiya tape to completely cover the yellow. Lots of effort, but a guarantee no metal paint would pull up.

The model then got an overall coat of Vallejo Aluminum. The nice thing with Vallejo metal paints is, once you have an overall coat on, you can brush paint different panels with different shades, and it dries without brush marks. Using the color photo here of a P-51H as a guide, I brush-painted several panels with White Aluminum. One major point: from photos, it seems clear that the P-51H did not have a puttied wing. The spinner and the sliding canopy were painted with Tamiya X-4 Gloss Blue, since this airplane was part of the squadron's Blue Flight. The twin antennas were painted with Tamiya X-7 Gloss Red.

Lots of effort masking for quick painting, but the model really "comes alive" when you apply the metal paint. You can see the beautiful petite surface detail, and when you remove the masking tape and look at what you have, you can say "Yes, this is going to sit right next to an Eduard P-51D and look just great."

Next: decals.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Dan Lee said 4 years, 4 months ago:

That looks pretty damn good. I think I am going to go with the box plane because it is so colorful.

As for masking, I've found that Stynylrez primer from Badger is a great primer for Vallejo Metal Colors. It has great stick and rarely peels off. I use it as the base coat and Tamiya Gloss black as the final coat.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Tom you convinced me to start mine this morning. I've found fit and finish is quite good, once you get through any flash that might be here or there. I'll be building the Texas ANG, for the same reason Dan mentioned. May start a build thread here soon.

Looking forward to hearing how the decals are, and seeing yours complete.

• Profile Photo

Just remember it's a limited-run kit. follow what I did and you will have a nice result.

• Profile Photo

Decals on. They're nice and thin, go on well. I managed to mispaint (memo to self: see what you're looking at!), the markings diagram shows the lower side of the horizontal stabs NMF. Fortunately, with Vallejo metal paint, if you have paint on the surface, you can brush paint (took two coats to cover yellow) weithout brush marks. Didn't want to risk masking over decals to airbrush that. This is a really nice kit!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Finished! You could sit this next to an Eduard P-51D, and people would think they came from the same company. I really like this kit.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 4 months ago:

that’s one colorful Pony, looks really good Tom, great job

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Now, with my PC out of service for some weeks, I'm trying to catch up here on iModeler, so for now just checking the pictures - looking like an OK kit. I will have to read about the build later to get the full story of the kit, but seems like it might be worth adding to the stash. .

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 4 months ago:

Build came out great, Tom. All of these late model P-51s had some stand-out paint schemes. Looking forward to building my P-51H.