Checkerboard nose 190

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 65 · 3 years ago · 1/48, Eduard Fw 190 A-6, JG.1
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 3 years, 5 months ago:

hands down my favorite 190 scheme...great job on the paintwork!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Pedro,
    I used a small machinist metal measuring caliper and locked it down tight at a 1/4 inch wide setting. Then I laid the caliper over top a section of 1/4 inch wide tape and made a bunch of identical 1/48 inch squares.

In 1/48 scale, this worked out to be a perfect 12 inch scale square at 1 to 1 real life size. I was lucky here, because once I started laying it out on the model, it turns out the ground crews most likely used the same 12 inch square measurement on the real plane.

I used my good old eyeballs to match the little tape squares to an existing picture I had available of "Light House Louie". I started laying out the little squares of tape individually, and it looked like this:

Then I sprayed the area black and it looked like this.

Once I removed the tape, I realized that I had mixed my paint too thin. This allowed some of the black to seep under the tape, so I had to do a little bit of touch up work afterwards. It was not hard to touch up using a small paint brush.

Granted these are flat panels, but it was a little tricky where the rudder / fin fillet mated against the fuselage, since this is a compound curve area.

Hope this helps... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Nice Louis! Might try replicating your technique in some future Mustang project. Cheers!

• Profile Photo

One last update before the whole nose is done (tomorrow I hope). The left side also completed, and much like the right side painting it needs some tuning, all manageable. This means that within a 3-4 days intermission the whole nose will be wrapped up

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Extremely well done! I like it a lot Pedro (@holzhamer).

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik @airbum, but I wouldn’t consider extremely well done 😉 a lot of tiny corrections to get those squares in tip top conditions and even then

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Mmmmmmm, a nice chequered nose, Pedro @holzhamer!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

It looks great, Pedro, no doubt about it.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

@holzhamer - from photos I have of the 78th FG P-47s getting their checkerboard noses, I would say what you have there is likely what the ground crews who painted the originals got. It looks very realistic and I for one would leave it as is.

They weren't doing it for an IPMS Nats, you know. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Again Spiros and John, thanks for your positive appreciation;-)
    Tom @tcinla - I have no doubt that ww2 ground crews from all armies had a lot less OCD than I do 🙂
    Ok so here’s the finished nose and the whole power egg

and the view no allied bomber crew wanted to see, the head on shot
    Later today the 76 follows
    Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Very nice touch-up Pedro (@holzhamer). This will be a hard act to follow!

• Profile Photo

Erik @airbum, I hope this shows that any modeller with average skills (especially with a blade, ruler and tape) can reproduce checkers or cowl bands on his project. I know I’ll try to go back to masking tails when I build one of those MTO Mustangs

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looks fantastic, Pedro @holzhamer!
    Looking forward to your 76!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Just perfect, Pedro.
    You get me motivated to have one build myself.

• Profile Photo

The model is now painted and with a gloss finish.

There are a few nips in the camouflage I need to do, nothing serious obviously. Next comes exhaust stains and some weathering. I’ll take some photos of the undercarriage installation also, an area always a bit troublesome in a Focke-Wulf 190.