Classic Airframes 1/48 Heinkel-51 Legion Condor

Started by Maxim Bylkin · 23 · 11 years ago · biplanes
  • Profile Photo
    Maxim Bylkin said 11 years, 4 months ago:

That's - began to build recently. The cockpit is made almost entirely from scratch. I can not decide what color to paint the interior - RLM-02 or RLM-63.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Magnus Fridsell said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Lovely work Maxim! My main worry when trying to build this kind of structure is getting it strong enough so that it will survive the handling during the building process!

Best regards

Magnus

• Profile Photo

I love everything to be firmly in the century))). Evergreen pasting glue on ZAP-A-GAP, a lot of fiddling - nothing came off. So, everything is OK))!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years, 4 months ago:

Very nice work Maxim. It should look great when all the details are added. I would say that if you are unsure about the color for the interior, you might look at when the plane was built. I am not an expert, and have not built any prewar Luftwaffe aircraft. I was not even aware that 63 was an option, I have always only had to decide between 02 and 66. I ran into that problem with my Bf 110. The interior color changed to the darker RLM 66 Schwarzgrau somewhere in the middle of production of the version I was building. Not having any reference photos to show which I chose the 02 because I like it better. I always paint the instrument panels the gray 66.

• Profile Photo

Yes, I do not expert)) All I am writing about the colors RLM - with the words of my colleagues
    Heinkel-51 on the interior is not exactly dark gray - all the photographs show that the paint was enough light, so I'm probably just painted some green-gray))), a cross between RLM-02 and -63
    There was also a version we have here, that the cockpit was painted with silverfish. But to me, this idea is not very much). In the picture is not visible characteristic luster.

• Profile Photo

Painted. The color on the photo is not quite like that in real life, telling the truth))

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

A small follow-up:

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 11 years, 4 months ago:

The most likely colors are RLM02 for the interior, and RLM63 (which Heinkel used for the exterior on almost all their airplanes) for the exterior. Really nice work here so far.

The color you have done is "close enough." But use the RLM63 on the exterior (interestingly enough, Gunze-Sangyo "RLM02" is actually RLM63). Xtracrylix also has the color - their paints are very accurate for color.

• Profile Photo
    Maxim Bylkin said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Colleagues, I need your help. Tell me, what is the black rectangle at the bottom of the fuselage - whether it is a radiator scoop, or just opening, looking at pictures, I can not understand.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

There is progress. Collected airframe, the photos are visible alteration - from etched bent tube machine guns, cut off rudders, and finally stuck the landing gear - with him was the most fuss. Seat for them was focused more on the photo. A lot of grind wheel fairings.

Sorry if Google turned clear, everything will become clear from the pictures))).

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bruce Hunt said 11 years, 3 months ago:

Not just an opening but a duct.
    Part of my research for my Silver Wings 51. I'll post if you like

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, Bruce. Ah, a little earlier, I would have done inside the duct. Now I really need information on bracing wires - bindings and more.
    In the photo your Heinkel? Gorgeous looks, it seems, the first in a network.

• Profile Photo

And continued ..

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

here's a typical bracing wire attachment. There are no turnbuckles on this aircraft. All the wires attach below the skin with sockets and jamb nuts. Scribe an access plate around each attachment point. They were round and oval.
    Basic rigging difference between A and B model is the double wires from the gear legs to wings.

Fine job BTW. Looking forward to your progress.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Tank and radiator. The tank will need a flat spot to clear the radiator fairing.
    The radiator fairing is only bolted (four bolts) over the radiator and not faired smoothly to the fuselage. The corners are not squared but rounded.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.