Combo build: Ilyushin Il-2 Stormovik (Accurate Miniatures / Revell in 1/48 and Tamiya in 1/72)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 680 · 1 year ago · Accurate Miniatures, Il-2, Ilyushin, Revell, Stormovik
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

It has been a while since our friend Spiros @fiveten and I finished our last combo build.
    Back then we finished the Henschel Hs123, a ground attack aircraft.
    This time Spiros and I will focus on another ground attack aircraft, the Ilyushin Il-2 Stormovik.
    During the second world war, 36163 aircraft were build, in different variants, which makes it still the most produced aircraft ever.
    Spiros will build the original Accurate Miniatures from 1997 while I will be building the latest release in 2017 from Revell.

The Revell box shows the Il-2 'white 82' in a summer scheme.

Opening the Revell box revealed a very nice detailed and colorful instruction booklet.

A single plastic bag containing all the sprues, including the transparant one.

And ofcourse a sheet of decals and stencils.

My plans are to build it in a wintercamouflage and first thoughts are to build it as the second provided scheme.
    'Yellow 6' from the winter of 1942/1943.

Although this kit dates back to 1997, the details on most parts are still nice and can definitely compete with current kits.
    We hope you all enjoy this combo build and we appreciate of course all advices which can help us to improve further.

Edit: In the mean time our friends George @gblair and Sebastijan @inflames, joined this combo build. George will be going for the AM in 1/48 and Sebastijan will build the Tamiya in 1/72.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

What a wonderful thing to combo build together, my friend @johnb! It is utterly pleasing and a pure honor!
    Your latest Revell rendition looks really nice, the molds seem to hold on well and instructions look really nice, as do the relatively fresh decals.
    Will introduce my kit hopefully some time tomorrow.
    Looking forward to your scheme choice!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Another great choice, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). Looking forward to the joint build.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great idea to combo build! I'd tried it a few times with my modelling buddies but it always went wrong somehow.

• Profile Photo

Thanks our friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo

Thanks our friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten Spiros, no, thank you! Following yours and John's builds will definitely serve as an inspiration to start my Il-2.

• Profile Photo

You may join us with your build whenever you like, our friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo

@gblair, thanks a lot, George.

• Profile Photo

@inflames, thank you, Sebastijan. I agree with Spiros @fiveten, if you have one, you are welcome to join this build with us.

• Profile Photo

@johnb @fiveten I actually have Il-2M3 from Tamiya in 1:72 if that would be OK? Or it should be the same kit as you build AM(Revell) 1:48? How about time frame? I'd like to finish my Midway duo before starting a new kit.

• Profile Photo

@inflames, to me it would be fine if you enter yours, even if it is 1/72. Main purpose is to learn from each other. There is no time frame. As a matter of fact, I'm a slow builder so it will take some time before mine is finished.

• Profile Photo

I totally agree with @johnb, @inflames!
    Join whenever you like, finish it whenever you feel, keep good company and have fun!

• Profile Photo

Here is my AM kit...

...here are the sprues, same as @johnb 's...

...here are the instructions...

..only one scheme option is provided...

...here is the decal sheet...

...a well printed color profile of the depicted scheme is included in the nice package...

I am in solid progress with my Italeri 1/48 Seahawk, which has a tight time frame, also doing some work on my 1/48 FM Vautour, still I might cut some sprue on the Sturmovik tge following days, in order to get started...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Looks like a nice set, Spiros @fiveten.
    Seems there is a difference in the sets since yours is a dual seater whilst mine is a single seater.
    I did not find an option in mine to choose between the one or dual seater.