Combo build: Ilyushin Il-2 Stormovik (Accurate Miniatures / Revell in 1/48 and Tamiya in 1/72)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 680 · 1 year ago · Accurate Miniatures, Il-2, Ilyushin, Revell, Stormovik
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Really great that you joined us, my friend @michaelt!
    The Tamiya kit looks superb, as well as your extra decals!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@inflames
    Sebastijan the version to be is the early single seater. I really appreciate your help mate. Not sure yet what colour goes in certain details so I hope your help can solve that

@michaelt
    Michael, looking forward to see your model too. Your decal sheet options look tempting. And the game was blast wasn’t it?

• Profile Photo

Standing on her feet...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@michaelt, great to have you joining this group, Michael.
    Absolutely looking forward to yours as well.

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, Spiros @fiveten

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Gear looks really sturdy, both on the model and on the real plane, Spiros (@fiveten). I think you will be done by the time I finish my B-17 and start on my IL-2.

• Profile Photo

Indeed it does look sturdy, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 10 months ago:

@fiveten top job! Standing on her legs, she indeed looks like a flying tank now.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @inflames!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Speaking of colors and paint, I was wondering if anyone had specific info about the interior colors. My sources say that the tech order called for a steel gray color (A-14), but due to paint shortages there was a lot of variation. I haven't found any color photos of the interior from the war, and the color photos you do find are warbirds. The colors used in warbirds may or may not be correct. I guess there was also some variation on planes used in WW2 and later in Korea. I found a photo of a restored IL-2 in the National Air and Space Museum that is supposedly painted in the colors they found when they were restoring it. It looks like the side walls are steel gray, the floor is a dark green, and the control stick is a chromate green color. My plan is to use AK Real Colors Steel Gray (A-14) on the cockpit walls, a dark green for the floor, and WW2 USAAF Interior Green for the stick. Any thoughts before I jump in with both feet?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Totally agreeing that there was a lot of color variation (possibly for various reasons), and since little is available regarding "the specific bird at the specific time", I believe you have more than one painting options here, all of them being "correct" or, at least, "justified", my friend @gblair! Steel gray is solidly a safe option.

• Profile Photo

Various bits prepared and/or added, touch ups in progress ..

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

@gblair, had the same problem in finding a valid source of information. Steel gray however is mentioned quite often. Although differences in color due to war is very likely. I did stay with a steel gray interior.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, Spiros @fiveten
    Approaching the finish line already while my progress is just at the starting point.