Combo build: Ilyushin Il-2 Stormovik (Accurate Miniatures / Revell in 1/48 and Tamiya in 1/72)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 680 · 1 year ago · Accurate Miniatures, Il-2, Ilyushin, Revell, Stormovik
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Those reinforcement ribs, seem to be possible to replicate, my friend @johnb!
    Looking forward to your superb entry and what becomes a really exciting multi-combo build!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 11 months ago:

The reinforcing ribs looks like a straight-forward conversion, John (@johnb). They will really stand out on the finished model. Another interesting conversion, Tom (@tcinla). You would think it would be an easy conversion as long as the wings and fuselage come from the same manufacturer. The conversion might be a little more challenging if the parts come from different manufacturers.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

For those building the A-M Il-2, here is something I figured out about the kit back when it was released.

The wing needs to be a tight fit, and the joint is very tight, so if you do a "traditional" assembly and wait to attach the wing till the fuselage is done, you will have problems. Instead, before proceeding further, attach the upper wing part to the main fuselage part. You can work it into position from inside/outside and get the positioning perfect. Then proceed to assemble the fuselage. The rest of the wing comes together as follows: lower center wing glued in place, then lower outer wings. You won't use any putty on anything.

HTH

• Profile Photo

Thanks for this info @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 1 year, 11 months ago:

I was so lucky to have Tom's Modelling Madness article to hand when I built my AM kit a couple of years back. Not sure if it would have turned-out quite as well if I hadn't followed his lead.

IL2 'Sturmovik'
    All the best.
  • Profile Photo

Splendid job there, @ij001! Indeed, @tcinla 's advice is reeealy helpful.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@ij001 - that looks really nice. Glad I could help. Seeing results like that and my articles mentioned as helping is nice to know.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@ij001, a great build, Ian. All this information on previous builds is very helpful. The info of Tom @tcinla is indeed appreciated a lot.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 1 year, 11 months ago:

@gblair George excellent choice of markings! I did one in those markings a couple of decades ago.

@fiveten Spiros and @johnb John, thanks for having me in this build of yours!
    Here's my kit:

They say you can't go wrong with Tamiya (can you imagine this is my first Tamiya kit in almost 40 years of modelling?) so I hope this saying is true to this kit as well.

Everything still originally sealed in the bags. Can't wait to start on her, but until then, I'll get a little bit of aftermarket upgrades for her and hopefully finish the Midway duo.

• Profile Photo

What an amazing entry, our friend @inflames!
    This kit was a new tool arrival in 2013 and seems wonderful in the box. Your upgrades will definitely give an extra boost and your top skills will produce a superlative result (which I am absolutely sure will outperform by far my 1/48 rendition 🙂 ).
    Thank you so much for your entry that enriches our successful combo (now multi-combo!) build!

• Profile Photo

Excellent choice to join this build, Sebastijan @inflames
    Your build will definitely yield into an amazing Stormovik, looking far better than what I can come up with.
    I'm absolutely looking forward to your techniques and do hope to learn a lot from them.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Looking forward to everyone's build. I have the Tamiya 1/72 lurking around in a moving box somewhere, Sebastijan (@inflames), so you can be the pathfinder for mine when I get to it. Looking forward to the build.

• Profile Photo

Starting off...

I assembled the central wing part (attaching the assembled radiator, bay walls and some basic cockpit elements)... ...then joined the fuselage halves. Main wheels, fuel tank and horizontal stabilizers were also assembled. Here is the progress so far... Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

Nice start, Spiros @fiveten
    That balancer on the verticle stabilizer is a very fragile element.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yes, the balancer is very fragile, so I bravely cut it off first thing 🙂