Combo build: Ilyushin Il-2 Stormovik (Accurate Miniatures / Revell in 1/48 and Tamiya in 1/72)

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 680 · 1 year ago · Accurate Miniatures, Il-2, Ilyushin, Revell, Stormovik
  • Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 4 months ago:

I attached the upper, outer wing sections next because I wasn't convinced that gluing the top and bottom together and then sliding it along the spars would result in a good butt-join to the inner sections. This way I could make sure the fit along the seam was good and glue it from underneath.

Then I sprayed the weapon and gear bays SMS Silver (lacquer). I'm very impressed with this, it gives a nice, even cover and is more durable than my usual Gunze metallic paints.

It was at this point I realised that there were ejector pin marks on the bomb bay side of the gear well wall. I chiselled these off and sanded back before re-spraying.

Don't look too closely. :~)

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

The silver looks super, my friend @michaelt!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looks good from here, Michael @michaelt

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Metal paint reveals all - good job on correcting those ejectorpin marks Michael.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Nice catch, Michael (@michaelt). I still don't understand why I can look at a part 40 or 50 times, and then discover ejector pin marks after I have glued them to the model.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I said before that the wing was composed of 7 parts.
    I was wrong:
    1 centre lower wing part
    2 upper inner wing parts
    2 upper outer wing parts
    2 lower outer wing parts
    2 wing tips
    2 ailerons
    = 11 parts, not counting the bomb and undercarriage bays.
    Fortunately, it all went together with minimal fuss.

I 've had to re-sand the bomb bay walls because my first attempt at eliminating the ejector pin marks wasn't as good as I'd thought.
    So, wings assembled and attached to the fuselage.

I now have to assemble the main undercarriage and install it before I can complete the u/c fairings.
    I am going to wait until the last minute to install the rudder so that I don't knock the mass balance off like I did for my previous build.
    (That Tamiya IL-2M3, by the way is just waiting on the underwing rockets to be painted and installed and the radio-wire to be attached.)
    I need to paint the underside colour around the radiator before that can be installed.
    Painting is not too far off.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Nice progress, my friend @michaelt! The 11-piece wing main assembly was a total success!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

It came all together very nicely, Michael @michaelt
    Looking forward to the next step.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 3 months ago:

I’ve finally put the finishing touches on the Tamia aircraft.
    I’ll take some better photos and post it on the headlines soon.
    For a change, it is ready ahead of time for the club “Gunna Build” competition which will be judged next month.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Excellent result, Michael @michaelt
    I'm pretty sure that you will get a great judgement for it.
    Looking forward to see it on the headlines and the prize you win with it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Pretty amazing, my friend @michaelt! For sure it deserves a prize!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 3 months ago:

Very nice result @michaelt. The paint really makes it stand out.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 3 months ago:

The paint scheme really makes this one stand out, Michael (@michaelt). I am sure this will be a winner at the club.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Turner said 1 year, 2 months ago:

And back to the Zvezda build:

I attached the main undercarriage - slightly fiddley due to the sometimes vague/shallow/delicate attachment points.

They are made up of 6 pieces in all, with the actuator being the most difficult part to get in position.

Then I added the main gear fairings.

And the canopy is attached (and gunsight), ready for masking.

Once I have masked this, and the landing light, I will add the break-offable pieces and undercoat and pre-shade ready for the main colours.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Main landing gear looks good, Michael @michaelt
    Close to the paint session. Usualy I apply the most fragile parts like antennas after the paint session, just to prevent the break-off experience.