Curtiss P-40E Warhawk 1/32 scale, Hasegawa Kit JT29

Started by Matt Dyer · 58 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

What a great story, my friend @matthewfdyer! I can imagine your excitement upon finding handwritings of Col Scott!
    Your P-40 is progressing nicely!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

A great story indeed, Matt @matthewfdyer.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Dyer said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thank you, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Col. Scott was a great combat leader. In his story, he always gives credit to his men for their skill and bravery while downplaying his own role. Yet, as you read about what he accomplished, you wonder how he made it out alive.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

That's what true leaders are made of, my friend @matthewfdyer!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 3 weeks ago:

Wow, Matt (@matthewfdyer), what great pieces of history you found. It really gives special meaning.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Dyer said 10 months, 1 week ago:

I got back to work on the model this week. Basic assembly is now completed. I found the fit of this kit very good, so while I have some putty work to do, it is not that much.

I read somewhere that applying a base coat of pink is the best to use under yellow. I tried it mixing some white with a bit of red and brushed it on. Then I brushed two light coats of orange-yellow over it, and it came out beautifully. I used Vallejo Model Air paints, which are my favorites for brushing.

Next, I assembled the landing gear legs, which were comprised of several parts as one would expect in this scale. I have a copy of P-40 Warhawk in Scale, Vol. 62 (1999) by Bert Kinzey, and it contains several photos of the landing gear. Using these photos I added brake lines fabricated from .015” lead wire.

Once I am satisfied that I have filled all seams and and minor misfits, I should be off to the paint booth. This build continues to be a real pleasure. I have built a number of Hasegawa 1/48 scale models, and I love them. This one is my first Hasegawa 1/32 scale and is as much fun.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Great job so far, my friend @matthewfdyer!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Your P-40 has really come together well, Matt (@matthewfdyer), especially the cockpit. I have also read that using a pink base under yellow works well, but have never tried it. I use a white base under both white and red.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten)!

• Profile Photo

Me too, George (@gblair). And I used white under yellow without fail. But pink will be the new white for me under yellow. I used it last night on a 1/72 side project and it worked perfectly again.

• Profile Photo

Pink is almost counter-intuitive, Matt (@matthewfdyer). You can't deny your results. I noticed that there are now pink primers offered by Tamiya and others.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Your progress looks amazing, Matt @matthewfdyer
    Thanks for sharing that tip on the pink prior to yellow approach.

• Profile Photo

Counter-intuitive is correct, George (@gblair). I did not believe it until I tried it.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). We are heading into a 7 to 10 day heatwave here in Arizona, and like very cold weather up north, it is a time to stay inside and work on models. So I hope to pick up the production rate on this model. I really like Hasegawa kits, and this one is tempting me to make another 1/32 scale kit from them.

• Profile Photo

We are having the same heat wave here in Central Texas, Matt (@matthewfdyer). I was stationed near Phoenix for several years in the Air Force, and I thought the temps were tough to take back then, but you throw in the humidity here and it really seems high. 110 degrees with 70% humidity is ridiculous. We go walking at 7 in the morning and it still takes a while to quit sweating when we get back.