de Havilland Aircraft Company Limited 100 years

Started by Erik Gjørup · 16 · 3 years ago · 100years, de Havilland, DH
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

On September 25th 1945, the de Havilland Dove flew for the first time. That'll be 75 years this year!

de Havilland Aircraft Company Limited was incorporated 26 September 1920, That'll be 100 years this year.

I think both are worth mention, and knowing very little about the company might I ask if there would be any interest in a group-build? I might give it a go as member of the moderators, but would like it a lot if someone with a deeper knowledge to things de Havilland would step forward and form the group.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Looks a fantastic idea for a GB, Erik @airbum!
    I'm no DH expert though, so I wish one/some experten will pop up to have this GB formed!

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 3 years, 8 months ago:

It's definitely a great idea for a GB. I am currently busy with the Trumpeter 1/48 DH Hornet. A kit that needs a lot of errors corrected to build an acceptable rendition of arguably the sleekest DH fighter emerging from WW II.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I think it is a good idea for a group build, although I am getting behind on the builds I want to do. I still want to do one for the Desert Storm group and for the Korean War group.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Well, that'll make four of us already 🙂
    If noone else will blow the horn, I may have to, but I still would like to invite someone with the knowledge to take care of the daily running of such a group. Anyway, lets hear it - are there more happy modelers that would be interested in such a group?

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 8 months ago:

And I have been working on these for a while !

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I have one I could build. It's a very common variant, but I plan to do a slightly unusual (but factual) scheme. However I can't make any commitments with regards to completion time.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Lets do it!

OK gents, we seem to have some interest in a DH GB, and I will try to set one up. I will make the announcement in headlines after I have investigated how to do it properly before the 25th.

Will a full year do for the deadline? Let me hear your thoughts please.

@fiveten
    @mornem
    @gblair
    @kalamazoo
    @pb_legend

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

I'm in. If I can't build something in a year I will turn in my Exacto and sandpaper. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 7 months ago:

This is a brilliant idea.

I have a few Mosquitoes... I will not start on them right away, as I have way too many other projects going on at the moment. I might even surprise you and concentrate on just one... 😉

I have a 1/48 Tamiya PRU Blue Mossie that has been calling me for years. This would be the perfect time.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Brilliant idea!
    A year seems perfect, but, should yu decide upon another time frame, I will not bother at all!
    Waiting for your starting flag Herr Administrator @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 7 months ago:

@airbum, my sentiments echo both Louis and Spiros.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Nice Beaver Erik, I have a head start on two, the Sea Venom is 95 % finished, also plenty more still in boxes, a year is a good time frame !

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Are we including De Havilland of Canada in the GB? If yes, we can include planes like the Otter, Twin Otter, and Beaver. I have several of these I can build.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Indeed that is my intention George (@gblair) - and maybe someone will have a de Havilland Australia Drover to build. With their full 100 years it is my opinion that their branches in Australia and Canada is a part of the history of the company.