Dora Wings 1/48 Marcel Bloch MB 152

Started by Tom Cleaver · 22 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Just got the four most recent Dora Wings releases for review. This MB 152 (late), the MB 155, MS 230 and J-9 (P-35A). All really nice. The MB 152/155 turn the Classic Airframes kits to door stops. The P-35A demonstrates how unfixably wrong the Hobbycraft P-35A is. The MS 230 is one no one has ever done before.

They are all "top end limited run", but you need to remember "limited run" if you want a "top end" result.

I started fiddling with the MB 152 last night, seeing how the complex (but not complicated) parts breakdown came togeher, and got this result. Figured I had better take photos and post them before it fell together.

With the low-pressure plastic molding, some shapes are difficult, which is why the parts breakdown is as it is.

Each fuselage is in three parts: main fuselage, lower forward fuselage/wing join, and vertical fin. If you take real care in cleaning up the parts and test fitting five times before gluing once, you can get good fit. You will still have to fight ghost seams where the lower forward fuselage joins the main part because it doesn't happen along panel lines, which means the seams have to disappear. I used Mr. Surfacer, followed by two applications and sand-downs of CA glue.

The wing is in six parts: two upper parts, which the two lower parts fit into in order to get a thin trailing edge and thin wingtip, the lower center section, and a spar to glue the lower wing outer parts to. The sequence is: spar and wheel well to lower wing; each lower outer wing to center section; upper sections to now one-piece lower.

The cowling is three parts. Careful fitting gives a good result.

If you do all this with care, test-fitting and modifying - sanding the interior of the lower wings thinner inside where they fit inserts, checking the spar and wheel well fit to the fuselage, each half separately - you can get a good tight fit that will need a minimum of filler.

The kit has four different painting and markings options. If you like early WW2 French fighters, these are good kits and worth the price.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I’ve seen a few finished models of their earlier MB151and I was favourably impressed, even more because those French tricolour camouflages are quite eye catching. What it wasn’t visible in those completed models is the necessary (and patience) work they demand. Clearly a kit for your competent hands Tom

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

A very nice aircraft, Tom @tcinla.
    Have you already decided which scheme you will apply?
    Looking forward to that.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great entry, Tom @tcinla!
    At last an almost mainstream Bloch 150 series quarterscale relese.
    Lookimg forward to see your 152 coming along.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - there's one 1940 wartime scheme that's very different from the others - I'm thinking that one.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This kit looks like it will come together well, Tom (tcinla). They seem to have a good selection of some seldom-seen aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Assembled.

I didn't scrape the cockpit floor, and when I brought the fuselage halves together it was just wide enough (and positioned just above the joint line) for the main fuselage and lower forward fuselage part to pop on the right side, necessitating re-gluing, puttying that side and sanding smooth. The wing fit OK but the fuselage/wing joins all needed some filler and sanding smooth. Did all that, rescribed lost panel lines.

No so worried about the closed canopy - the cockpit is all dark blue so there's not a lot to see anyway and closing the cockpit preserves the lines of the airframe.

One very neat thing is that Dora Wings got the engine offset. If you look at this airplane, it is technologically quite advanced: the cockpit is positioned forward, giving better view over the nose, with the fuel tank immediately to the rear, over the CG, improving stability. The engine is offset to the left, to counteract torque. And as a bomber interceptor, it has two 20mm cannon - much better anti-bomber armament than 8 Colt-Browning .303 machine guns. The downfall was an unreliable and underpowered engine, which was a problem for all French aircraft of the period.

But you can already see the advanced technological thinking of the designer, Marcel Bloch, far better known after the war when he legally changed his name to his Nom de Resistance: Marcel Dassault.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking super, @tcinla! What a departure from the CA kit (which, of course 🙂 , I have in my stash - and I cannot recall if it addresses the prominent engine offset, or I will have to "improvise" there...).

• Profile Photo

Great progress, Tom.
    Those were indeed advanced thoughts.
    I didn't know that Bloch and Dassault were the same person, really interesting, thanks for mentioning.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

This will be a cool model, Tom (tcinla). It shouldn't take up much space, even in 1/48.

• Profile Photo

Preshaded. I pained the canopy interior color from outside, then sprayed grey over it so the extrerior would be uniform.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nicely done, Tom.
    Looking forward to the camo scheme it will get.

• Profile Photo

Looking great indeed, Tom!

• Profile Photo

Painted - the most interesting of the four schemes, completely unlike standard French tri-color camo. I like the "dappled" look.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good, Tom. That is a cool scheme.