Double Hurricanes (no not the Arma)

Started by Kyle Koppos · 19 · 3 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Kyle Koppos said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

I have been working on a Classic Airframes ragwing and a Hasegawa IIc. Surprisingly the CA has been very fun for me and in the inverse the Hasegawa fills me with regret that it is not the Arma kit instead.

Alas…

I bought a Tamiya razor saw for resin pour stubs. This makes this job a dream.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The cockpits proceed without much to mention. Though i noticed i think the CA based their kit on the Hasegawa. Parts look similar and have weird locating holes where Hase had parts but CA decided to leave them out…

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Of course we got some goodies. Barracuda wheels and Master barrels for the Hase, Scale Aircraft Conversion landing gear for the CA as the box gear is not so good.

More evidence of CA copying the Hase: both have the issue of having only one wheel capture “lug” in the roof of the wheel bay. I also had to cut out the vision slots in both and fill pin marks in the Hase

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Tamiya razor saw came to the rescue to cut out the fake Hase headrest to make way for Quickboost replacement. The fit isn’t great.

The Hase is also a Sea Hurricane by the way, and the limited edition kit requires you to make cuts for a resin plug. Again, fit isn’t great

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Superb entries and great progress so far, my friend @kopperhed!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looking forward to those Hurricanes, Kyle @kopperhed
    I'm still looking for a good one so I'm definitely going to follow your builds closely.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Nice IP, right out of Spanish school.
    As predicted , it appears to be a busy Hurricane season.
    My camera was doing well for a while, seems to have backslid.
    Sumatra/Palembang jungle fighter. Freehanded camo job. How 'bout that 9 piece cobbled up serial?

• Profile Photo

That’s a IIB? I want to build one if Arma releases it, though i might be sick of Hurricanes by then

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

A guy on here is doing a IIC 1/48 Arma. Very impressive surface detail, every rivet. This 1/32 is barenaked by comparison.

• Profile Photo
    Kyle Koppos said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

I got too cute and tried to mask over decals to overpaint with white. Well, they peeled up and i hope i learned my lesson.

Now do i finish peeling them up completely to start over or try to touch them up with paint?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Pity about the decals, my friend @kopperhed. If you have another set, I think peeling them completely off is probably better, touching them up will require much more effort.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

A real pity about the decals, Kyle @kopperhed
    For sure you are not going to forget this happening.
    Like mentioned by Spiros @fiveten, applying new decals might be an easier exersice

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

You're learning, grasshopper ( 🙂 ). The Arma Hurricane IIc has an open lower rear fuselage for when they do their Sea Hurricane. Take the Sea Hurricane lower part from an Airfix Hurricane I, and - voila! - a better result for a lot less effort.

And yes, the CA Hurricane is based on all the worst parts of the Hasegawa kit planning.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

So, describe your emotions as you saw the tape peeling off those dekkles. Were they like, "Oh, shoot!".
    Finish peeling them, try tape first. You might need a bit of Windex (tm) for stubborn bits. Did I mention that I hate decals?

• Profile Photo
    Kyle Koppos said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

(@billkoppos) I knew it was a mistake after i put all the blu tac on and saw the whole mask job. I hated myself instantaneously the moment i tried to remove the masks and heard the first crack