Eduard P-51

Started by Jim Harley · 10 · 6 hours ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Been threatening to build one of these for 2-3 years now. With the release of the B and its pending arrival, it’s time to get tuned up. Still not sure which one this will be, probably Cripes 3rd or Frenesi…either way I’m going all out on her. Famous last words but these kits deserve everything I can give them 🙂

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Looks good already, Jim (@jimh). The P-51B and P-51C are my favorite Mustangs, and I have built several of the Tamiya versions. Looking forward to your build of the Eduard kit to tune up for Eduard's new early Mustangs.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 3 days ago:

Excellent entry and ditto progress, my friend @jimh! Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Thanks! Trucking away at it this weekend. A friend of mine in Texas and I got in on the Eduard presale, they’ve shipped but are somewhere in Germany right now according to the tracking. Meanwhile I got the fuse buttoned up and the gear well coming together. These are such beautiful little kits.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week ago:

Excellent progress continues, my friend @jimh!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week ago:

That's a fine looking interior, Jim @jimh

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 21 hours, 41 minutes ago:

Back at it. Grabbing building time when I can. Got the fuse buttoned up, filled and sanded. The fit is unbelievable. I probably didn’t need to use filler but sometimes I get heavy handed with sand paper. I shaved a toothpick down to a point and applied the filler as sparingly as possible. Once sanded, it only took a couple of minutes to re-rivet the affected areas, mostly behind the tailwheel and behind the canopy. The absolute only fault with this kit is the top cowling. There are no Dzus fasteners molded in to the upper cowl. A quick thumb through the Cal Pacific Air Motive Facebook page yielded several photos of the panels. The Eduard rivet lines are, or look spot on with the 1:1. Using the photos and my Mark IV eyeball, it didn’t take long to get them punched. Masked off and painted a portion of the inner front canopy and got the gear and doors in process. The gear well is my hang up. The copper wire is a bit too stiff for some areas, so I bit the bullet and ordered lead wire. The B models will arrive Wednesday. Finishing this one first though!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 17 hours, 32 minutes ago:

Great progress and AMAZING attention to details, my friend @jimh!

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 15 hours, 38 minutes ago:

Thanks! @fiveten this has been an absolute joy to build. The detail is exquisite, can’t wait to tear in to the B kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 hours, 37 minutes ago:

Those fasteners do look very good, Jim @jimh
    You're making some good progress.