Eduard P-51…another one

Started by Jim Harley · 8 · 17 hours ago · Eduard, Mr Hobby metallics, P-51 Mustang
  • Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

I vowed I wouldn’t start more than one kit at a time…I’m sure you all know how that goes. I’ve got this one pretty far along…Cripes and Shangri-La are pretty much done. I figured I’ll finish all three with a marathon of ‘drop tank day’. This is the Eduard 1/48 D model kit with the Brassin Engine kit and ammo bay. Aside from the engine and bay she’s straight out of the box with a stock kit cockpit and wheel bay. I did dress up the gear wells with some plumbing. I’m using the Mr Color Metallics over a base of Mr Color gloss black. I’ve been experimenting with not using any primer and so far it’s working a treat. She’s going to be Dallas Doll…more to come

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

More from the build. It’s literally falling together. The engineering is unreal with these ‘add ons’. I did primer the resin bits, but sanded most of it off the seams with 6000 micro mesh. Everything fit right as a drum on the first go and went right in to the gloss black.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Some more progress shots. I really like liquid mask for individual panels. Tamiya tape leaves a residue on the Mr Color metallics, I should probably clear coat between shades but it doesn’t leave an even sheen…atleast to my old eyes. I started with the wing in Mr C silver, masked off the gun bay and sprayed it. Then the fuse, I’m using every shade of metal just for fun. I swear I’m not sponsored by Mr Color, I’m just enamored with these metal paints.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

This third one is a great addition, Jim @jimh
    Excellent start made, especially all those details added are beautiful.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Excellent jobs so far, my friend @jimh!
    You can never build too many Eduard Mustangs!

• Profile Photo
    Jim Harley said 23 hours, 8 minutes ago:

The race is on for Saturday. Everything is painted, just need to do final assembly and hopefully cinci on Saturday. Painted the base, weathered her with the Abteilung oils and finished all the engine bits. The tailwheel is a weak link it seams so I used a toothpick for internal reinforcing. The main gear popped in with no issues. The Eagle strike checkerboard decals don’t quite match up to Eduard so I masked those off…kinda fun to work those out…More soon

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 21 hours, 28 minutes ago:

Great progress and ditto looks, my friend @jimh! Looks like you will achieve your Saturday goal!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 17 hours, 5 minutes ago:

Very nice progress, Jim @jimh
    Seems like you will get everything ready just in time.