F-82 Twin Mustang Mojo Build

Started by Carl Smoot · 88 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Making progress on getting the second fuselage detail rescribed. Part of my challenge is that in addition to this kit, I have another that also needs rescribing that I am working on, so I am splitting my time between the two when it comes to rescribing detail. And of course, there is still the foiling on the Thunderbolt and the building of the USS San Francisco.

I am unsure if I want to repeat this process after these builds. I had decided to work on multiple builds to try and satisfy urges to work on several different models. I have so many things I want to do and it seemed like I will never get to all of them, so a multi build approach seemed to help with that. But at times, I miss just focusing on a single model. Not complaining, just reflecting on the state of affairs.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

I have too many already started kits, my friend @clipper. I cannot agree more with you: at times I miss the magic feeling of focusing on a single project.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Agree, focusing on multiple projects at one time is not ideal, Carl @clipper
    In principle my plan is always to focus on one but in reality it is far from that. Too many nice topics ongoing in which I want to contribute.

• Profile Photo

I don't mind working on multiple kits at the same time, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). It's rather nice to be able to switch up to keep from one job getting too tedious. And if the builds are spaced out in start times, it means that you regularly get to the fun part of painting and weathering. It also means, though, that it takes longer to get an individual model done.

It's only the concern about getting impatient that concerns me as it can lead to a desire to cut corners at times which I have to fight the urge to give into (not always successfully).

Anyway, for today's work, I am continuing on the Twin Mustang build. I wanted to duplicate the surface detail redo on the other fuselage as it felt like one of those tasks that, if I didn't get it done soon, the model would end up on the shelf og doom. This is primarily because I don't particularly like having to redo things and this seems too much like that. But I got it done.

I had originally tried to drill out the intake screen on the nose. This is a prominent feature on the Mustang and Twin Mustang and I wanted it to look better than the surface molded original. But the drilling out didn't look that great so I decided to replace it with mesh. It's somewhat better (at least more consistent) and I can live with it this way.

Then I took a look at the intake trunk inlet piece from the kit. It wasn't very well done either. It also didn't fit up to the fuselage very well. So the first thing I did was reshape the inlets to be a little closer to what they should look like.

They were then glued to the fuselage. They are a bit oversized in overall exterior dimensions and didn't sit quite straight (hence the gap in one of the parts),. I'll clean all this up after the glue sets up. THe exhausts on this kit bare some resemblance to the real thing, but they are not great. However, without a 3D printer, I doubt I could produce an acceptable and accurate replacement for all four exhausts, so these will be staying in place (with a bit of clean up).

And something else that anyone who has ever attempted to do an inflight display has experience with, namely ill fitting landing gear doors. You can see in this photo that they will have to be fitted as best as I can, glued into place, completely filled in using CA glue, and then rescribed. Since I am going to be rescribing the wing surface detail anyway, getting these doors glued in now makes sense. The kit also has a upper wing panel for the gun bay which has the same problem and which will get the same treatment.

All in a modeler's day, especially with older kits. If we hadn't had to deal with this sort of stuff from an early age, it would be harder to get better at making changes and conversions later in our modeling adventures. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Excellent job so far on tackling the kit's shortfalls, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten). I wasn't aware when I started this kit, but it is the same plastic as the old Monogram 1/72 release. I read though that the Hobbycraft release (which this one is) was more poorly molded. I have to agree. Still, there's definitely satisfaction in getting this kit up to more acceptable standards.

• Profile Photo

All those improvements are perfectly done, Carl @clipper
    Great progress.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 1 month, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent, Hobbycraft kits are a challenge, but can produce great results as you are proving!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John (@johnb) and Rob (@robertandy). I still think about all the times in the past when we wanted something to be released as the latest wunderkit by Tamiya or Hasegawa and now that we get these kinds of kits regularly form most manufacturers, we want to go back and tackle these older kits! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Okay, the wing is mostly ready to install. I still need to smooth sand the bottom side to remove scribing burrs and then give it the Tamiya Extra Thin treatment to soften scribed edges. The lower surface landing gear doors are completely sealed and rescribed.

I used a drawing I had to determine the panel lines so if they are wrong, it's from the drawing. The center panel on the underside got six shell ejector holes cut into the wing (there was nothing there). That was fun, because these are about 1mm wide and 2.5mm long.

The drawing aileron lines on the bottom side differ from the molded lines on the model, hence the black lines you see in the photo (black CA glue filling in the old lines).

I wanted to mention a tool I just picked up which I used to do this scribing. It is the Stedi MS-39R scriber with a .1 mm scribe. This tool is great for scribing straight lines. I found it easier to use than my go to photo etch razor saw blade for these lines. Going around leading edges and curved surfaces is still easier with the saw blade. This tool can hold a variety of sizes from .1mm to 3mm (and possibly others). The chisels can be purchased separately if one breaks, although it is pretty tough.

• Profile Photo

Wonderful job on the wing, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo

Excellent work on restructing this wing, Carl @clipper
    Thanks for sharing the tool, it looks very handy indeed.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). My pleasure in sharing the tool. I am always looking for better ways to do things, and willing to try tools out as long as they don't cost a large upfront cost.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

I continue to make small bits of progress, at least photogenic progress. There is quite a bit of background work that goes on for these photos. The other projects I have going are the same way, so the photos are fewer and farther between at the moment.

The Twin Mustang has been assembled and all the seams filled on the main body and wing parts. This turned into quite a chore as there were many gaps that had to be dealt with. And after that, many of the details I had previously scribed into the plastic had to be restored again. I should be able to prime this soon and hopefully there won't be much (if any) touch up work required. I am rather looking forward to painting this because I am going to paint it as a night fighter and I have a technique for black schemes that I am anxious to try out on this.

As I have previously mentioned, this is going to be an in flight display so I am getting the propeller spinners prepared for that. My usual approach for this is to make the appropriate diameter clear parts to simulate the blades moving, then sandwich that between the spinner parts. And gaps on the spinner will be filled in.

When assembling the wings and body, I had a lot of trouble getting everything aligned. I ended up several times sawing the wings partially loose and repositioning the entire assembly, clamping it into position while glue dried. Then of course the seams had to be filled and detail restored.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent job do far, my friend @clipper! You certainly tackled well the fit challenges!