F-82 Twin Mustang Mojo Build

Started by Carl Smoot · 88 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Progressing nicely, Carl @clipper.
    No signs of any fit issues anymore.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I did get it to come around to my way of thinking, but I wouldn't mind something that is a bit more cooperative! 🙂

Today was mostly about getting the propellers and the radome ready. I had some troubles with the spinners with gaps and trying to get them filled, but managed to get it in the end. Then I apply a Future dip to each blade to clear them up. One of them had tide marks after drying, so I reapplied the dip to see if I can get it to look better. That's why it's not in this photo.

The radome was warped a bit and had to be held together with various clamps overnight while the glue dried. But once dried, the seams were pretty clean and only required a small amount of filler to remove a few hairline seams. Of course, like the rest of the model, it had raised details which I removed and then rescribed.

I have to work on the canopies and windscreens next and then I should be able to get to painting.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Looks good, Carl (@clipper). Why is it that the odd-shaped pieces are the ones that don't fit quite right. Would it be too much trouble to have something easily glued and clamped that doesn't fit. I never have much luck with a 2nd bath of Future. I usually soak the parts in alcohol to remove the Future and then reapply. Looking forward to the canopies next.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Excellent so far, my friend @clipper! You have tackled nicely the fit issues!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

All looking perfectly fine, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo

Thanks George (@gblair), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb).

Yes it would be nice if parts fit better. Thankfully today's kits do that for the most part. I mentioned some ideas in your FM-2 thread George about holding the parts.

This morning, I took my first real look at the clear parts for this kit and found out very quickly that they look as bad as the old Frog and Airfix canopies did from the 60's. The windscreen has no frames. Both the canopy and the windscreen have rough , not so clear surfaces (inside and out). And there is a bunch of flash and mold bumps (from tooling marks in the mold) on the canopy frame.

So I've started cleaning these up. I am sanding the canopies and windscreens smooth and then will re-polish them. You can see the work I've started here.

It may take a bit of time to get these presentable.

Also George, I did have to strip and reapply the Future to the one set of props. I am waiting for it to dry now., so I am not sure yet if this fixes the problem.

• Profile Photo

They don't look that great indeed, Carl @clipper
    Typically how most of them looked in the earlier days of modelling.
    Pretty sure you will make them look like they are from the modern days.

• Profile Photo

Wow, Carl (@clipper), I haven't seen this much cleanup required in a while. If I end up doing extra work because I messed something up is one thing, but you shouldn't have to do this much extra work because the kit was manufactured poorly. Good luck on the canopies.

• Profile Photo

Excellent cleaning job so far, my friend @clipper! You will surely come up with very clear transparencies!

• Profile Photo

The canopies have ben cleaned up and are fairly transparent now. I'll have photos of those after I get them installed on the plane. But before I can do that, there are a few other small tasks that needed attention first.

The windscreen on this kit has no canopy framing even though the real aircraft does. So I am going to replicate that with two pieces of aluminum foil tape applied in the same manner as I am using to foil my Thunderbolt. However, I don't want the interior color of these frames to be foil colored, but rather the correct interior color. So I have masked off the two frames and sprayed them with the interior color (I used German Grey which may or may not be correct, but I believe the interiors were a black or near black color). I will then apply the foil over these painted areas.. Later when the aircraft is painted, the outside surface of the foil will get painted.

The area directly behind the cockpit where the canopy sits needed to have some paint as well. I am not sure if this is the black that was used for the exterior color (I doubt it) or the interior color (the near black color I am using), so I elected to use the interior color and paint these areas before installing the rear canopies. I also sprayed the canopy frames (which are a separate part) with this grey.

I am close to painting now. Once I get the canopies assembled and installed, I should be able to start painting. I am going to be doing the black night fighter scheme I have decals for so I am looking forward to experimenting with that finish. It will be nice to get another airplane model painted because its been awhile.

• Profile Photo

Good question on the color of the fuselage under the canopy, Carl (@clipper). I don't know, but I would guess they would be black in this case. It is always fun to start painting, and with this model you get double the fun.

• Profile Photo

Okay, the canopies are on. I had to do some additional shimming on these to fill in gaps. They're far from perfect, but still loads better than when I started.

I think I might have one more thing to do before starting the painting. This kit has navigation lights molded on the tops and bottoms of the wings, but I believe I saw that they were actually on the wing tip edge, so I am going to do a bit more research and make this adjustment if needed.

• Profile Photo

Excellent job so far, my friend @clipper! Have seen a couple of pics showing navigation lights at the wing tips.

• Profile Photo

Those canopies turned out beautifully, Carl @clipper
    Looking forward to the painting session.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I removed the wing molded lights and modified the wing tips to have navigation lights. Filed a small elliptical shape into the end, drill a .4mm hole and inserted a small piece of stretched sprue with a bit of cement. After it dried, snipped it down to a short length and painted them red and green. Then using some UV curing nail gloss resin I had (which is fairly thick now), I dabbed a small amount on the tips and cured them with a UV flashlight. I was originally going to sand them to shape with the wing, but I think they look good as is.

I also worked on the framing for the windscreen. I don't have any Bare Metal Foil which I think would have been a better choice for this, but I tried my newly learned foiling technique to create a small piece of foil with glue on it, then using an Infini cutting mat, cut thin strips from the foil and applied them to the windscreen. They were then burnished down with a toothpick. I don't trust the adhesive to keep them down so I applied a coat of future over these afterwards to seal them in.