F-82 Twin Mustang Mojo Build

Started by Carl Smoot · 88 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month ago:

Excellent jobs on creating the wingtip lights and the windscreen frames, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month ago:

Excellent work on creating those wingtip light bulbs, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month ago:

Thanks again Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I love that UV cure resin, very useful stuff.

In preparation for painting, I am getting the base ready for mounting the aircraft. I am gluing the support rod to the model before painting as it will make for a convenient handle while painting and I can stick it in the base while I let the paint dry.

The base is a simple block of wood with routered edges and varnished. However, I am attempting to make painting masks for the squadron emblem for the squadron that will be represented by my plane. I found a low resolution photo of the original patch from that period and a higher resolution of the same emblem later in the squadron's history (60s or 70s, I believe) . I am using the higher resolution image to create the artwork for the masks, but I will swap out the name of the squadron at the time the aircraft was being used. This is going to be painted on the front part of the wooden base. Hopefully it will turn out okay.

The support post was made from 1/4" acrylic rod heated over a heat gun and bent slightly, then cut to length. The bottom of the aircraft has a corresponding hole drilled into the wing and the post has been epoxied into the hole. This is more than enough strength for this model as it is pretty light weight.

• Profile Photo

Very nice base, my friend @clipper! Very nice job on creating masks for the squadron emblem!

• Profile Photo

Nice approach on the base and the emblem sign, Carl @clipper
    This will look great.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Having the vinyl cutter has opened up new opportunities for me to express creativity.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 month ago:

All your work on this is paying off, Carl!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John (@j-healy). When I started this build, I had intended to basically slap it together and paint it, but I just couldn't let the raised surface detail go and had to sand it down. And when doing the cockpit, I wanted more than what came with the kit. These efforts led to further efforts later and the model basically has turned into another of what I consider my standard builds. It's extremely satisfying (if also somewhat tedious at times) to take these old kits and try to improve on them.

• Profile Photo

Today was masking, priming and getting the base coat on the model. Primer was MrSurfacer1500 Black. After this had dried for awhile, I did a marbling coat with sky grey. Then using about 15% Tamiya Nato Black, 10% Tamiya Hull Red, and about 75% Mr Leveling Thinner, I spray light coats of the base color. I'm going to let this dry until I can look at it in better lighting tomorrow and see if I need to do any other colors. I will be doing some post shading, but I want to see if it needs any different shades of black, sort of like what we do for bare metal finishes.

• Profile Photo

Very nice painting so far, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo

Great preperation prior to the final paint, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Marbling pre-shade came out really nice, Carl (@clipper), and prevents having a monotone black finish. Great work cutting your stencils.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and George (@gblair). I'm still not sure where I want to go next with this finish. I have thought about adding some preshade lightening of the center of panels, selective painting of certain panels with different shades of black, and misting on a sandy grey to make it look a bit dusty / chalky.

But all of those would require a strip and redo if they didn't look like I want them to. Part of my problem is trying to determine just how much weathering of the finish should be done. Looking at photos, other than some chipping, most of the night fighter F-82s looked pretty clean.

So I think to start, I am going to apply the decals and then a grey panel line wash and matte coat. From there, I will see how it looks and decide what else I want to do. However, barring a change in the weather, I will be taking my boat out tomorrow, so the model building will have to wait another day.

I did get a gloss coat applied today. I have also painted the propeller spinners blue and the drop tanks aluminum. These match the scheme I am going for.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): Monotone finishes are difficult sometimes to get the effect you are looking for. You might try using artist oils like a filter and just subtly change the tone of select panels. It might be difficult to work on such a dark canvas, but you might spray some black on some scrap plastic and do some experimentation. Nothing lost if the experiments don't pan out.

• Profile Photo

Good idea to proceed as you said and decide later on on weathering, my friend @clipper!
    Have fun with your boat!