F6f-5 Hellcat Eduard 1/48

Started by Matija Lisec · 14 · 8 years ago · Hellcat
  • Profile Photo
    Matija Lisec said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Hello chaps
    this has been in the work for some time now, but progress is slow i`m afraid. However I did manage to take a few pics to show what i did so far. I need to assemble the tub now and figure out what to do for the seat belts.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Thats a great start, Matija. Enjoy the build of this great kit, the details on your cockpit look really nice.

• Profile Photo

Some more work: added ignition wiring on the engine, added a mesh on the mouth intakes and used styrene to plug a gap which is present when assembling the 3 piece cowling. The pit is complete minus the seat belts. Images are kinda crappy, no help on that

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Matija, lovely work on the cockpit and the cowling.
    Is the instrument panel photoetch? I've got one of these, and was figuring to just paint up the injected parts. I shy away from photoetch usually, as, except for certain applications, it just looks "flat". Mind, the instrument effect is great, but for that one loses the knobs 'n things that protrude from the panel.
    Nice plumbing on the engine, also.
    Looking forward to the finished aircraft, keep up the more than good work.

• Profile Photo

Cheers Bernard
    Since this is a weekend edition kit, no PE parts included. Since im not a big fan of Eduard prepainted PE i dont mind. Plastic cockpit parts looked good to me,it has nice details.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Your ignition harness looks neatly done. I always like it when someone makes the effort, even though most of it will be out of view. The wire or cable you've used has a 'soft' look - is it solder?

Good progress.

• Profile Photo

Its not, I ran out of soldering wire 🙁 it`s a 0.3 mm wire that florists use, its soft enough, and quite multifuncional

• Profile Photo

Ok, it`s starting to take shape now- added the rudder, horizontal stabilizers on which i made new tabs for the dropped rudders, elerons were repositioned and i added the actuators for them, drilled out the lightening holes on the wheel, added the seam line on the fuel tank and removed the molded straps, drilled out the exhausts. The wing roots needed a little filler, but the fit was pretty ok. More work was on the lower fuselage, as i opted to get the best fit on the upper spine so i needed a bit of work on the lower, due to the complicated overlapped panels

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Matija Lisec said 8 years, 7 months ago:

A few complications later...did some work on a new tecnique ill be trying out, and did a multi layer chipping, the paint is ligthtened base and a few shades then i did it over with the base proper but i didn`t photo it
    In the meanwhile i did a simple base

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good. I think I see where you're going with the finishes.

• Profile Photo

After my (failed) attempt at multi layer chipping, I decided to start over on the wings, so i removed the paint off the top side and did it over, sans the aluminum and yellow. I will do the chipping on this one the traditional way.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 7 months ago:

Matija, sorry the wingroot experiment didn't turn out. It looked good!

I've concluded it's easier to apply the "chipping" AFTER the overall paint job is on, than to do some of the alternatives, liquid masks, salt, tape pulling. Less being more, in this instance, silver pencils, Rub & Buff/Treasure silver, dry brushing various tints of "silver" after the overall paint dries. Outside in, rather than inside, out, as it was. Or any combination thereof...

That's my 02 cents worth.

This is really looking good, and I'm looking forward to seeing her finished. I was just revisiting the cockpit, certainly nothing to worry about there! The GSB went on beautifully, so you're in the homestretch!

• Profile Photo

Decals done, wash time. Engine cowling got a light color wash to represent the screws or fasteners( quite prominent on photos) the rest i mid brown color. I really really have issues photographing it, its either too dark or too bright, so it appears too splotchy, its generaly toned down just about right

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 7 months ago:

Your Hellcat is really coming along, looks great so far