F6F Hellcat Mk 1 HMS Emperor 1944 (Eduard 1:48)

Started by Martin Dytrych · 52 · 5 months ago · 1/48, Eduard, F6F, Hellcat, HMS Emperor, Martin Dytrych, Royal Navy, Work in progress, WW II, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

I have started new build of very well known kit from Eduard. I also improved cockpit with own set of detailed parts - you can say I can buy them, but it was fun to learn new stuff and I could do something extra not available on market.
    Currently I designed also pedals, but they are not printed yet.

My intention is to re-work landing legs and wheels - I know they are available on market, but it looks to me OK to make them in 3D.
    For next Hellcats I plan to design lowered landing flaps as nobody do them properly.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Another amazing entry and great progress already, my friend @naviatik! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent entry and an amazing start, Martin @naviatik
    Your current attention to detail indicates an awesome build.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice work on that cockpit.

Are you going to make those parts available to your fellow iModelers? I'd buy those flaps.

• Profile Photo

Tom, when flaps are done, I will let you know for sure... Do have 3D printer or would you need printed parts?

• Profile Photo

Btw.
    I am working also on P-40 wheels, already having 3 different tyre types - brick, diamond and stud patterns. You can check on my Facebook.
    And I have also brand new seat, armorplate and belts both for Italeri and ARII kit (1:40)
    Also brand instrument panel, but I am not sure if it is better then photoetched...
    And I even improved the armor plate for F6F-3, it has now much accurate shape in head part...
    I am still excited with all opportunities which 3D printing offers.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

Wow! The 3D printed opportunities are really amazing, my friend @naviatik!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

The 3D parts are amazing, Martin Dytrych (@naviatik). I did some very simple design and printing for my 1/48 T-6, but this is well beyond that. What design software do you use?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months, 3 weeks ago:

@naviatik - I'd need printed parts

• Profile Photo

George (@gblair) , I combine CAD and Blender

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 6 months ago:

Hello guys, no big progress on model, but I spend time with designing flaps extended down in CAD...
    After having that done, I have to redesign also wheel bay and legs and wheels... It is a lot of work, but I do not want to buy Eduards brassins - I have still at leats 3 models in stash and this all would cost me another 3 kits...
    I am starting feeling quite confident in designing those things, so I hope in faster progress.

Anyway, flaps are almost done and I love them in this position on Hellcat, knowing that nobody sell them in such quality.
    I will add some rivets and fabric cover look, but for test print I do not need it.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months ago:

Looks promissing, Martin @naviatik

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months ago:

Looking excellent, my friend @naviatik!

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 6 months ago:

First prototype print is done and dryfitting is quite well.
    However, there are few errors - also in shape. Flaps are OK, but around the wheel bay it is wrong.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 6 months ago:

Looking awesome already, my friend @naviatik! I am sure you will get the bay section shape correct at the next print.