F6F Hellcat Mk 1 HMS Emperor 1944 (Eduard 1:48)

Started by Martin Dytrych · 52 · 5 months ago · 1/48, Eduard, F6F, Hellcat, HMS Emperor, Martin Dytrych, Royal Navy, Work in progress, WW II, WW2
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 months ago:

Martin Dytrych (@naviatik)
    Hey Martin. I have been watching you work your magic on this from the very beginning. Next to the Corsair, the Hellcat is my favorite US Naval aircraft. I am VERY impressed with your CAD work and 3D printing. It looks extremely professional. I wish I had half of your skills.

I have been very fortunate to be around a full size F6F-3 as it was being restored. I have a bunch of pictures that I took if you need anything.

The Grumman Gray color is close to the Federal Standards number you mentioned. This particular Hellcat was a treasure trove of original colors. The guys who restored it used a digital camera and specialized computer software to match the original colors they found during the disassembly, to the colors that were eventually sprayed onto the plane. This one is as close as it gets to being as authentic in every aspect. Plus they have an original WW2 era ANA color card set. These "late war" stamped wheels were eventually replaced with the more traditional style spoked wheel, and a set of diamond pattern tires were also fitted.

I took this picture shortly after the "Grumman Gray" was sprayed on the rear fuselage just below where the vertical fin is eventually bolted to. The rear fuselage interior is the same color as what you see here. It's close to the FS 36440, but not quite exactly.

I have a Federal Standards color chip book and personally confirmed this. FS 36440 has a little more of a "Tan" look to it, and is not quite as Gray, at least to my eyes.

This picture here should give you a good idea as to what the Grumman Gray color looked like. It was actually the same color as the rest of the undersides would have been, if the aircraft was wearing the early War color scheme of Blue Gray over Gray.

The proper camouflage name for it is M-495 Light Gray. This color was the standard US Navy lower camouflage color until mid 1942 and the tri color schemes were being adopted. It was used along with M-485 Blue Gray as the upper color during this era.

But like Tom pointed out, there will not be too much visible when it's all assembled.
    However, if you are like me, you will know it's there, and that's what matters.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or need a picture of something in particular. If I have what you need, I will share it with you.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Hi Louis (@lgardner),
    I really appreciate your help. Hellcat is great beast and one of the greatest WW2 plane made at that time.
    I already applied new color inside rear fuselage as it is visible quite well, even through small windows.
    This build is something like prototype test, although I want to get perfect model at the end.

I am currently not missing any pictures. I have got ton of publications plus there is quite nice Hellcat in 1:24 from Airfix, which helps me to realize how it is constructed in complex areas.

According to tyre types, there were at least 3 types - diamond, bricks, flat, and probably stripes (but those look like modern and I bet they were not used during WW2).
    I already did all those patterns for P-40 wheels and I would only adopt the size to fit Hellcat kit (I only guess, but in reality they might be exactly the same as for P-40.)

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

I am currently working on oil cooler waste gate, which is by my opinion one of the part, which is not nice. With only little effort there will be nice detail.
    To faster this build I make it as scratchbuilt part, but I plan to create 3D model later.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Martin Dytrych
    This is some incredible work. The 1/24 Airfix Hellcat looks like a nice kit. If I didn't know better, I would think that your model was a larger scale too.

Yes you are correct about the tires in the picture I posted of me standing next to the full size Hellcat. They are modern aircraft tires. The shop had a set of modern / reproduction diamond style tread tires that were installed on the Hellcat just prior to the completion of the restoration. The ones you see here were used for the initial test flights. They are as you mentioned a modern radial tire.

They had to "swing" the gear with the plane supported on jacks, after the new diamond pattern tires were installed. They had to ensure the new tires would properly fit into the wheel wells once the landing gear was retracted.

I am surprised at how much is visible behind the pilot's seat and armor plate. Your work on the air exit ramp looks great too. Many of the American WW2 era single engine fighters used tires that were similar (if not the same) size. They also shared the same tread designs. If you look at a Corsair and the Hellcat, the wheels / tires look to be the same. I would have to look at my pictures to get the proper size though and have proof of my last statement.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Nice progress on the oil cooler, Martin @naviatik
    Will look great in 3D.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 4 weeks ago:

Excellent nob on the oil cooler exit, my friend @naviatik!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Your work on this kit continues to amaze, Martin (@naviatik), especially the 3D printed parts. They look great.

• Profile Photo
    Martin Dytrych said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

This weekend was full of 3D modelling, but it paid off. And... as you can see, I decided to rework oil cooler waste gate as well in 3D. 🙂 It starts looking like obsession but it was easy part and final look is much better. Original Eduard part has wrong shape anyway.
    I am actually working on fuselage, for production version I will do some final touches for perfect fitting, but this first run was still OK to be used.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Awesome job, my friend @naviatik!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Amazing work, Martin @naviatik
    I realy do envy you guys with a 3D printer.

• Profile Photo

John (@johnb), I am trying to find the way how to share my work with others, allowing them to improve their kits as well. So, you only have to find somebody with printer nearby then.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Things are moving along quickly, Martin (@naviatik). The upgrades you are doing are really making a difference. I agree that 3D printing is really making a difference in our builds. The cool thing about 3D printing is that it is easy to share the print files for modelers that have access to a printer.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Appreciate your sharing a lot, Martin @naviatik
    It is really amazing to see how 3D printing evolved lately and how much details you can get with a resin printer.
    We do have a printer at work but that is a filament printer which does not reach that level of details.
    Definitely something which is on my wishlist. First I need to convince my wife that I need this 😊

• Profile Photo

First big milestone completed, guys.
    Inner flaps are set and they look quite OK.
    It still required some sanding to set it perfectly, but I know know where to touch the model in CAD. I just underestimated the angle inside the fuselage.
    Outer part is not fitting, but this I expected.
    I just do a correction and then also outer flaps with fabric surface.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Louis @lgardner,
    in case you have any close look of flaps, I would really appreciate any picture. I have some very good, but you know, more is better. 🙂
    Thanks