Gloster Gauntlet - Silver Wings + AIMS

Started by Max Williams · 216 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Max Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

The Gloster Gauntlet came into RAF service in 1935 at Duxford with 19 Squadron (later to be the first to be equipped with Spitfires). The Gauntlet was the apotheosis of the WW1 open cockpit fighter plane, having a top speed of 230mph, outstripping the beautifully streamlined Hawker Fury by 15mph. Sublime performance combined with superlative handling qualities gave the RAF a wonderful aerobatic aircraft as well as a very stable gun platform. Whilst it was soon to be replaced by the Gladiator, the latter’s enclosed cockpit never quite gave it the same appeal to many pilots, losing the “wind in your hair” romance.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The Silver Wings kit is a very welcome addition to their stable of 1930s aircraft, the Polish company is to be applauded for producing kits of the fabulous "Golden Age" of aviation. All of course are moulded in resin, to a very high detailed standard, and require the use of CA as a securing agent. My first task is always to open all the plastic bags, which are seemingly packed in a random order, try to identify which part is which and then re-bag them into "build bags" - all the cockpit parts, struts, engine etc. It's not unheard of for one or two bits to be missing (as in this case) and better to discover this early on so that the company can be contacted for the parts to be sent. What's in the kit:

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I want to do a two-blade Watts prop Gauntlet, so I was able to get hold of an AIMS one that was intended for the Gladiator, though I believe that John has now done one specifically for the Gauntlet. I'm also using the AIMS Gladiator Mk 1 PE sheet to enhance the cockpit area, not that it's 100% accurate I think but near enough:

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Once the resin flash has been cleaned off, the internal cockpit structure looks like this, plus the AIMS PE seat and IP:

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

By Silver Wings' standards, the cockpit structure fitted together incredibly easily and is now ready to be painted. I'm not certain what colour it should all be, but going by contemporary aircraft such as the Bulldog and Fury I intend doing the framework black and the internal cockpit sides dull silver. I intend adding a few levers and "black boxes" to the fuselage sides to give a better idea of a busy cockpit!

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Hi Max @maxw, glad you found out how to post this, iModeler is easy isn’t it? Looking forward to following your build as I know nothing about these kits nor these aircraft.

• Profile Photo

Yes it is easy George, once you know how! I very much like the format as I've said previously especially with the ease of uploading photographs. Thank you for your help to date.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Great posted here, my friend @maxw!
    What an amazing entry!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo

Mainly a day of gathering information today, three key points learned. Firstly about the only (certainly flying) Gauntlet in the world in Finland, albeit not with the "proper" Mercury engine. I watched 28 minutes of an in cockpit flying display of this aircraft, and right at the end as the pilot got out of the plane I managed to grab this screen-shot of the seat etc.

So much information in this picture, with the obvious caveat of course that this is a machine flying 80 years after the RAF ones, but the AIMS seat design is confirmed and that interesting apparently leather "handle?" on the port side of the seat. Also the "handbrake" on the starboard side. (I have since been informed that the leather “handle” is in fact a patch designed to prevent chaffing from the parachute metalwork (short for more technical terms). You can also see it on many British planes of the period like the Gladiator and the Hurricane. The “handbrake” on the starboard side is a seat-adjusting lever.) Other cockpit shots which include quite a bit of modern equipment, I need to sort out what is and what isn't!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Next up a drawing from AP1487 which is the manual for the Gauntlet. Two factors interest me with this drawing: firstly the large "loopy" seat belt in the cockpit which goes back into the rear fuselage which suggests it's very much like those on the Gladiator...and why shouldn't it be...and what I'm taking to be a trim wheel which oddly isn't numbered despite there being a leader line going to it. This drawing was from "On Golden Wings" - I copied it, cleaned it up a bit and pasted it into "Pages" to optimise the size.

• Profile Photo

Having this drawing I thought I'd see how the Silver Wings kit measured against it, pretty much spot on...hats off to Simon and his team!

• Profile Photo

Finally a few other goodies gleaned from various sources:

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

You are certainly into a very deep and thorough research, my friend @maxw! Indeed, you cannot assume that restored planes are always hundred percent authentic looking, for the exact reasons you mentioned. Nice that the kit measures well. I really loved your "spy" pictures from the restored Gauntlet's cockpit!
    Looking forward to this superb project 's progress!

• Profile Photo

It's the way I work Spiros...sometimes I make life difficult for myself by finding out too much then getting bogged down trying to replicate the details. Building out of the box just doesn't happen for me!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Incredible research, Max @maxw
    Amazing pictures of the past and the current Gauntlet.
    Your work on the cockpit looks amazing.