Gloster Gauntlet - Silver Wings + AIMS

Started by Max Williams · 216 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Very nice, Max @maxw

• Profile Photo
    Christopher Amano-Langtree said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Hi Max
    It's coming together very well and is looking fantastic. Nice spot on the polished fairings - this was a feature of the anodized Gauntlets.

• Profile Photo
    Max Williams said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thanks Christopher, I'm guessing it may have been the squadron's metaphorical two fingers to the AM when told the main panels were to be anodized and not shiny? Just my "romantic" notion!

• Profile Photo

It was a general practice though I don't know why. My speculation is that the metal was different. The bulges, the oil tank, the tail 'cone' and in some cases the cockpit doors could all be in polished metal. I included these on my No. 17 Squadron Gauntlet.

• Profile Photo

Things are moving on slowly!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Slowly but really wonderfully, my friend @maxw!

• Profile Photo

Today's work:

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Gradually coming together, my friend @maxw! The top central wing section looks perfectly aligned!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Maybe a slow pace, but with an amazing result, Max @maxw
    The realism you achieved from this work is amazing.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Very nice progress on this.

• Profile Photo

Great work and nice detail - if I may make a small comment. The ring sight would be to the left hand side of the Aldiss sight and in line with the front Aldiss support located on a shared bracket. The two sights were used separately and not in conjunction.

• Profile Photo
    Max Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Thank you Christopher, a further nugget of info but one that I fear is now too late! I haven’t fitted the bead sight yet on the far front of the nose because of fragility issues at this stage of the build.

• Profile Photo

Checking references, as one does, and a little bit of a conundrum has come up. This photograph of the only surviving Gauntlet in the world shows side to side bracing wires under the top wing centre section:

also just visible here:

but then this aircraft doesn't have the Bristol Mercury engine, nor the associated large external radiator on the top of the for'd fuselage.

Trying to solve this using period photographs is difficult because none is quite clear enough, but the position of that radiator to my mind makes the existence of those wires highly improbable:

I think I can account for each of the wires visible in these "confusing" shots, so these wires are NOT going in on my Gauntlet!

The Silver Wings instructions are rather vague! Thoughts Christopher?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

I think these side to side bracing wires exist also in your version, my friend @maxw.

• Profile Photo

No Spiros, I’m talking about wires going ACROSS the fuselage, not from front to back.