Gloster Gauntlet - Silver Wings + AIMS

Started by Max Williams · 216 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 6 months ago:

You're definitely getting your money's worth with this project, @maxw.

• Profile Photo
    Christopher Amano-Langtree said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Basically it's hold the model vertically and have the wire horizontal to the mainplane with the lower attachment point leading. Thread the wire in using fine tweezers and rotate - your first contact point should be the upper mainplane adjacent to the middle of the cabane strut. Then once the wire is attached either let gravity take over or use a fine needle point to push the wire down into contact with the fuselage. Add a tiny drop of superglue to secure. Use slow setting superglue and add plenty of curses and swear words. One has to expect several attempts to get an attachment point but sometimes you get lucky and it goes right first time.

Even without the two rear wires the work is superb.

• Profile Photo
    Max Williams said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and support, all very gratefully received and appreciated. Well, significant progress but not without its trauma! The top wing is on…..rock steady and square….phew!

The “drama” involves the starboard forward cabane strut which didn’t fit well, so I removed it and am making a new one:

Once this is in place, oh and a slight gap at the top of both outer rear interplane struts port and starboard filled, it’s on with completing the rigging.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

The mounted topwing looks great, Max @maxw
    Always a pity to see those issues occur, but I'm sure you will get that solved with your skills.
    Great start on the rigging as well.

• Profile Photo

These things are sent to try us John @johnb, but all sorted now and rigging underway!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Looks absolutely wonderful, my friend @maxw! It happens to face fit issues upon attaching the top wing on biplanes, however your excellent skills will easily remedy everything.
    This is already a superlative model down to every detail!

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros @fiveten, my inner demons drive me towards detail!

• Profile Photo

Getting there! Still need to fix that interplane gap though.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks stunning, my friend @maxw!

• Profile Photo

Looks excellent, Max @maxw
    Would white glue be a solution.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John, I will be using Apoxie sculpt, brilliant stuff.

• Profile Photo

Bit of tidying up to do but delighted that the rigging is substantially finished:

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Rigging looks excellent, my friend @maxw!

• Profile Photo

Very good work on the rigging, Max @maxw

• Profile Photo

Thank you both Spiros @fiveten and John @johnb, I’m very pleased with how it’s turned out so far. What I haven’t mentioned here was that last week I had a little accident with it, top wing came off, rigging all over the place, gunsight missing (turned up in the cockpit!) so I had to walk away from it for a few days! It’s been a slow but steady restoration.