Gloster Gauntlet - Silver Wings + AIMS

Started by Max Williams · 216 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

What a terrible accident, Max @maxw
    Fully understand you had to take a step away.
    You did a great restore of what happened.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Like it never happened, my friend @maxw!
    Perfect restoration!

• Profile Photo
    Max Williams said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Restoring the build taught me quite a lot actually, which is just as well because I have a Silver Wings Tiger Moth in a not-too-dissimilar condition! Watch this space.

• Profile Photo
    Christopher Amano-Langtree said 1 year, 5 months ago:

It's one of the unfortunate hazards of biplane building. Top wings can come off all too easily. Excellent recovery.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 5 months ago:

A great restoration, since if you hadn't mentioned it there is nothing in the restoration work that says "we had to fix this."

• Profile Photo

Especially when you’re careless like I was Christopher! It’s all character-forming though!

• Profile Photo

Had a really busy, and tiring, week so not a lot of time nor motivation for modelling, but I'm starting on the detail work to get the Gauntlet finished. My focus yesterday was on the pitot head. Silver Wings provide a PE one in two parts which isn't very convincing nor easy to install, so I decided to make my own, carving it from an old resin casting block (does anybody else save these or just me? ). Anyway, investigation time of course first. This picture shows the pitot head quite well, but also something else:

The bead sight is sited in a cut-away on the upper cowling, something else to whittle away!

This is a detail from the crashed Gauntlet, image "inverted the right way up" and showing a slightly different design to the top one. I presume the associated pipework (which on the Tiger Moth runs down the front of the strut) runs inside the hollow struts so that makes life easy(er). I've carved the head like the lower one so that it fits snugly against the strut but I've yet to add the two "prongs"...photo when it's finished which probably won't be for a few days...more busy-ness..

• Profile Photo

Amazing approach to details, my friend @maxw!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great approach, Max @maxw
    Looking forward to the finished one.

• Profile Photo

Hi Max
    It's the same design pitot tube as the previous photo. It's just a bit bent from the accident and the prongs haven't been coated.

• Profile Photo

Ha ha, that makes sense Christopher, thank you!

• Profile Photo

And finished.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Max
    Really excellent work - high quality, extremely accurate and detailed. I particularly like your rigging and the anodised finish on the fuselage. One thought - Gauntlet undercarriage legs were normally silver (the same as the fuselage).
    Christopher

• Profile Photo

Overall a masterpiece, my friend @maxw! What a thread! What a wonderful result!

• Profile Photo

Final shots.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.