Gloster Gauntlet - Silver Wings + AIMS

Started by Max Williams · 216 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Max Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Getting there with the cockpit, the seat belts are AIMS Gladiator ones. I've added a couple of random placards.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

A very nice seat and interior, Max @maxw

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

This cockpit looks wonderful, my friend @maxw!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Interior looks great, Max (@maxw). Seatbelts look very good in their new home.

• Profile Photo

A little work on the IP(s)...it's going to be a bit of a mongrel! The AIMS Gladiator is clearly not 100% accurate as I knew it wouldn't be, but it's better than the Silver Wings one which is very much based on the surviving Finnish Gauntlet which is not typical of 1930's Gauntlets. So I'm opting for the AIMS main IP. But the SW lower one more like a Gauntlet one than the AIMS offering.

And a slightly puzzling photo of a line up of Gauntlets; you can see what appears to be the "firebird" symbol on the tail fin of the second plane which definitely suggest 56 Squadron, but "On Silver Wings" says these were allocated to 19 Squadron. Further investigation required!
    OK, so it's not the 56 Squadron phoenix, but 19's dolphin between wings, apparently adopted because the squadron flew Sopwith Dolphins in 1918. Excitement over!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The upper part of AIMS and lower part of SW seems to be the best combination, Max @maxw

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking forward to more great progress as soon as you’ve solved this conundrum, Max @maxw.

• Profile Photo

Whilst I cogitate further on the instrument panels and their mounting, here's something I did earlier...the engine! This is a Bristol Mercury nine cylinder job, it builds up very easily and is well detailed. My only slight (pedantic) issue with it is that each cylinder head has two exhaust pipes which come out of the front that then go into the collector ring, ie the forward part of the cowling. But due to the vagaries of resin casting the moulded pipes don't really mate at all well with the interior of the collector ring, see pic 5.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Close inspection of period photos of Gauntlets show "bumps" around the interior circumference of the collector ring:

• Profile Photo

I was slightly mystified about how to interpret this, but then comparing the Gauntlet arrangement with its successor, the Gladiator, revealed the answer:

• Profile Photo

I have cut off the existing pipes so more cogitation about how to replicate the set-up, I'm thinking Milliput or similar made into thin "sausages" then moulded onto the collector ring. The engine meanwhile is pretty much ready, just the oil drain to add at 6 o'clock:

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Great work on that engine, my friend @maxw! I am sure you'll find a way to overcome the short exhausts.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Quit cogitating so much, and do some thinkin'!

• Profile Photo

The work done on the engine is very nice, Max @maxw
    For sure you will find a way to get those "sauseges" done.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Mmmm, sausages, being in China I really miss a good old English banger, I don’t think I fancy a Miliput sausage though. Keep up the good work, Max @maxw.