Gloster Gauntlet - Silver Wings + AIMS

Started by Max Williams · 216 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Engine looks great already, Max (@maxw). Perhaps you could make the pipes out of half-round plastic stock? Evergreen has all sorts of sizes.

• Profile Photo
    Max Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Yes I had thought about that as an option George, I'm trying to decide which is going to be easier to do without making a complete dog's dinner of it. The flexibility (pun intended) of Milliput is the most appealing at the moment...maybe until I try it.

• Profile Photo

IPs are completed, I used Airscale dials in the end rather than the film versions that go behind the IP. The light in this pic isn't great but hopefully you'll get the general idea. The profile of the main IP doesn't conform very well to the internal curvature of the Gauntlet fuselage so I had to come up with a crude but hidden method of sticking it securely in place...a combination of CA, resin and Blu-Tak! I was concerned about the width as well but fortunately it was millimetre perfect, so before I knew it the fuselage halves were together!

I mixed up a paste of ApoxieSculpt and left it to cure overnight, then sanded smooth, it appears here that there are open seams, but not so! My next job is a coat of primer just to see how good that surface actually is. The wing only placed there but the fit looks promising. And to finish with, another great Gauntlet shot, 46 Squadron.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking good ,Max @maxw.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Looking great so far, my friend @maxw!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Nice progress, Max @maxw

• Profile Photo

The fin is in place but the rudder position needs a little extra attention. I've added a small piece of rod to the top of the fin which is the rudder post top end, raising the rudder slightly. This of course throws the profile out slightly and, from a modelling point of raises the question of how to secure the rudder. Looking at photographs there are two hinge points at the end of the fuselage which I'll be adding and one at the top of the hinge post, see below. Also worth noting that the section of the fuselage below the fin is metal, not fabric covered. I think I'll be using bare metal foil as a covering then lightly painting it.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very nicely done, Max @maxw
    Those detailed pictures a the real one are very helpful.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

The amount of detail witnessed upon looking close to a plane is always amazing, my friend @maxw!
    Those are great close up pics and you are doing a fantastic job on your model!

• Profile Photo

Instrument panels really came out nicely, Max (@maxw), as well as your work on the rudder. All of this extra detailing will certainly be worth it in the end.

• Profile Photo

Indeed it will George, so not too much time today, but managed to get the tail finished and a covering of Bare Metal Foil over the aft end. Next up will be rolling/forming the large radiator area on the starboard nose area, then a full coat of primer:

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The metal foil looks great, Max @maxw

• Profile Photo

The tail looks great with the foil covering, Max @maxw.

• Profile Photo

The tail looks great with the foil covering, Max @maxw.

• Profile Photo

Metal foil is a great idea, Max (@maxw). Looks great.