Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Great windshield, my friend @maxw!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Excellent work, Max @maxw
    All the effort finally paid off.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Wow. Really nice work figuring out the windshield, Max (@maxw). The only thing I have used my wife's Scan and Cut for is for painting masks. I need to expand my horizons and see what else it will do.

• Profile Photo
    Max Williams said 1 year, 7 months ago:

I've been carrying out an experiment to try to determine the best finish for the Gauntlet's metal fuselage representing an anodized finish. So the following picture is self-explanatory:

and each section against the fabric rear fuselage:

I'm leaning towards the finish with the MRP anodized aluminium applied, but not sure whether matt or not? Thoughts chaps?

I've also been looking in more detail with Christopher's help at the Aldis gunsight and windshield arrangement clearly shown here, the forward one is a bead sight not ring:

AP1487 shows me which way round the sighting barrel goes:

So I need to start off by cutting a hole through the windshield, getting that in place then sorting the gunsight, something like this:

Oh hum!

• Profile Photo

I believe gloss anodized aluminium (pure BMF, no matt added) is a good choice, my friend @maxw as, to my eye, it comes close to the pic shade.

• Profile Photo

That seems favourite right now with me too Spiros @fiveten.

• Profile Photo

Agree as well with that choice, Max @maxw
    Great detailed information on the gunsight as well.
    I was wondering, the opening in the windscreen for the gunsight, is that not a bit off center, it seems a bit to the right.

• Profile Photo

That’s only a trial piece John @johnb, the real one is work in progress and will be deliberately very slightly off centre for practical modelling reasons….build up of tolerances etc!

• Profile Photo
    Christopher Amano-Langtree said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Anodization - it all depends on how new you want the aircraft appearance to be. The matt finishes are the worn finishes. The shiny ones the fresh finishes. I would also suggest the Aldis sight needs to be slightly higher - it's a neat piece of work.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 7 months ago:

Interesting work, Max (@maxw). I always thought that the "tube" gunsight eliminated the need for the pair of "ring and cross-hairs" sights, but I guess they continued for a while as a backup. The detail on your plane will be amazing.

• Profile Photo

I’ve cut the hole higher Christopher than on the test piece having checked the references, and I have decided no matt finish, just anodized paint!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 7 months ago:

For what it's worth, my vote is on the BMF+anodized without matt. Great stuff - thanks for sharing these steps Max.

• Profile Photo

So plain anodized paint it is, no matt. It looked a bit uniform so I've added a haze of smoke/graphite around the panel lines, not sure if I've overdone it in places, could need knocking back a bit. The windshield is on so next is the Aldis sight (the bead sight won't be fitted till the very final build stages) followed by the cabane struts and wing centre section. Still waiting for the missing struts from Silver wings...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking absolutely marvellous, my friend @maxw!

• Profile Photo

Excellent result, Max @maxw
    The accenting on the panel lines does make it very realistic.
    The windshield opening looks really nice like this.