Grumman F-14A Tomcat - diorama

Started by Sebastijan Videc · 31 · 5 years ago · diorama, finemolds, tomcat
  • Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks guys! Yeah, I've heard a lot of time of different model parts used on movie props. But this one really screams out as the whole shape was just copied!

Anyhow time for weekly update:

Last week I received Reedoak 3D printed figures to be used on diorama. Oh boy, I can't believe how far 3D printing technology has advanced! Layer edges that were in the past really prominent on this kind of prints are almost non existant on these figures. I had to use a magnifying lens to spot it, but even then, it look like a texture to the textile more than layering. Really amazing. These figures aren't cheap, but they look better than anything I have seen so far.

I am no figure painter and it was a first time for me to work with Mr.Paint acrylic paints specially made for figure painting. I have to say I am satisfied with the result - keep in mind that the figure on the screen is several times the real size so everything looks better balanced on 1:1 scale.

Finished painting the "spine" interiors.

and she's slowly coming together.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Not much time for model building last week as daughter had high fever and ear infection but nevertheless I managed to finish something during the weekend.

Dryfitted the wings and tailerons and attached the fins - Tomcat, baby!

Was playing with different shades of metallic colours, picking out single petals, and attacking those with washes. I'll further putt a matt coat on them as they're too shiny now and probably add a little more staining.

And dryfit of the nozzles - They look really nice attached to the fuselage. Had to bypass instructions a bit so I can remove and install them later in the build.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 4 months ago:

After a coat of AMMO One Shot primer I've put a marbled coat of Lt. Ghost Grey on.

Marbling was first done coarser and will be made finer later.

Before final painitng I added brown marbling on the areas of higher wear and tear.

And the final subtle effect. But the painting is not done yet.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Nice!

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Last progress report of 2018.

Did further weathering of the overpainted panels and added grime and dirt on the most often used panels.

Added antiglare panel, over-intake walkways and painted the canvas bags and airbrake interior.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 5 years, 4 months ago:

Awesome progress!

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Not much to show but quite a lot of work has been invested into the model in the last couple of weeks.

The interior compartments were give a coat of White paint.

Afterwards the details were painted and a wash was applied to enhance the shadows.

The right hand side was given the same treatment.

With all the details painted and wings and pylons attached, it's time to gloss it up and finally start the decalling process!

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 2 months ago:

I've hit the builder's block with this build when it came to decals. The only company that did the decals for the scheme I'm building, were Airfix. They have included decals for one of the VF-41 line birds from the JFK's 1997 Med cruise as well as CO's bird of VF-14 Tophatters with really nice tailart. The latter however has two serious problems - one side of the decal sheet is pretty badly off register and Airfix managed to screw the pooch with Modex numbers - the real bird carried 214 while Airfix printed the 201.

Anyhow back to VF-41 option. While the decals are surprisingly thin and the tail art decals fit perfectly, almost all other decals are like 15% too big. The "NO STEP" decals, compared to the Microscale sheet I used in the end, looked like 1:48 compared to 1:72. So yeah, in the end, some scheme specific decals were used from Airfix, others were mostly Microscale and some from a Fujimi kit (which had quite bad adhesion).

Anyhow all the troubles behind, here she is, ready for the next level of weathering.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years, 2 months ago:

Landing gear was improved by the use of Albion Alloys brass tubing and Plusmodel lead wire

Landing gear painted up and weathered.

Tomcat after light washes

Final look after specific panels were further weathered and certain panel lines over painted.

• Profile Photo
    Sebastijan Videc said 5 years ago:

Hi everyone! After a longer absence, I am back.
    Was pretty busy at work with some joint NATO exercises going on and we had to provide ATC services for extended periods of time and the little time that was left, I spent it with my family.

Then this came along - another TOMCAT!

But fear not, I managed to sneak some time and add some details and put her on her own legs and here she is... some details still waiting to be attached, then flat coat, and again detailing, some weathering and on towards the finishing line.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Great to see you back here, Sebastijan. The Tomcat is looking Topclass.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 5 years ago:

Welcome back - great stuff! (now I hope iModeler crew get the issue with picture size sortes as yours are clearly cropped after you uploaded yhem in your latest post - they are working on it)

• Profile Photo
    Csaba said 5 years ago:

Looks really nice! I have an old 1:72 scale Fujimi A in my stash, and a similar paint job is planned for that. I hope that I will be able to start that project in the near future.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 years ago:

The paint work you have done on this is fantastic, especially in 1/72d. The patchwork paint replicates what I have seen on actual F-14s. Great job!

• Profile Photo
    Richard Mcstay said 5 years ago:

Looking amazing mate!