GWH 1/48 TBD-1 Devastator

Started by David Odenwald · 92 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 10 months ago:

Well here goes, first real post since I just joined but have been reading for awhile.

My plan is to build T-4 off USS Lexington as the plane has a credited torpedo hit on the light carrier Shoho. But a bedeviling question needs answering from the photos taken by Paul Allen's group.

What color is the interior? A dirty silver lacquer? Seems that way from photos that shows the main wheel wells and the interior where the torpedo adapter has apparently disintegrated to expose the interior structure.

Thanks in advance.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months ago:

A fantastic entry, @kahu! I am not a Devastator expert, so no clue about the interior, but, possibly, the experts here might help.
    Welcome aboard!

• Profile Photo

I certainly hope so but I probably will have to wait for Dana Bell's book to come out.

• Profile Photo

As others have already noted, the GWH instructions are pretty much garbage. Did they ask Kinetic to make these?

Because seriously, parts simply appear already glued into position. For example the torpedo fairing just appears glued to the wing bottom on Step 9 where the torpedo is assembled. But on Step 7 it has you install the flat panel to make a level bomber. thud

But should I be surprised? On the instructions cover up at the top in big letters it says "L4807 VT-6 at Wake Island 1942." But in fine print on the lower right corner of the instructions it says "L4807 WWIIU.S.NAVY TBD-1 MIDWAY 1942." I think readers, this is going to be a challenge.

Here is a photo of what I did to the Monogram TBD-1.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 months ago:

The interior of all TBDs by 1941 was Bronze Green. The best colors to use for the camouflage are Gunze-Sangyo H-42 Blue-Gray (primary) for the upper color, going over it with thinned Mr. Color C367 Blue-Gray (US Navy aircraft), which is too light for the base but good when mixed in for a bit of fading and H338 Light Gray (US Navy Aircraft) for the lower.

I just did a review of this kit at Modeling Madness you can find here:
    https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/cleaver/us/usn/tbd.htm

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months ago:

Hi David (@kahu), welcome to iModeler. Like Spiros, I am not an expert on Devastators, but I have seen models with either aluminum or interior green. I dig a quick online search and found a good photo of an aluminum interior. Perhaps the interior varied with the date of manufacture? If you check the date on the photo, it is from the late 1930s. There are some good references already out there, so good luck.

• Profile Photo

Tom. Photos can be so frustrating. Guess will go with the Bronze Green. Not tried Gunze-Sangyo though still got a couple bottles of Model Master Intermediate Blue and MM Light Gray along with a bottle of Ammo MIG A.MIG-0228. So I think I might be able to muddle through with the repaints done on VT-2's planes.

George thanks for that, when building my previous TBD-1 Devastator I did scour the Internets for interior photos. Guess I should post them here just in case someone else has missed them.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months ago:

This is a build I'm looking forward to, David @kahu
    First of all welcome to this amazing community, you will definitely will get help from the experts.
    Unfortunately I'm not but will follow this thread with great interest.
    Your research is already amazing as is the current status of your build.

• Profile Photo

This is the boxing I have. It comes with torpedo, bombs, and depth charges. Also has the single .30 and the late SBD twin mount.

Did a quick boxing in of wheel wells and aft torpedo bay. More to follow.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@gblair: the first 100 came out of the factory with aluminum lacquer cockpits. In 1939 BuAer said paint the cockpits Bronze Green at their next overhaul, which was done 1939-41 and they were all in BG by the time the war came.

• Profile Photo

@kaku - just leave off the armor around the twin mount and you'll be "OK enough" with the project.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Here is the interior. Since the photo sprayed the interior a faded green, not as dark as I used on the Wildcat figuring the TBD has seen more service. Added the HF radio antenna wheel from the AM SBD on the left hand side of the radio-gunner's position. Since the foot rests are spied in a couple TBD photos I have, stole a set from the same Dauntless kit and put them in the rear area. Plus lots of lead wire. Will post more photos soon.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

David Odenwald (@kahu)

This would have been a perfect addition for the Jim Sullivan group build we have going on right now. You are always welcome to join us there if you wish.

The questions about the interior are good ones. Originally these were finished in the aluminum lacquer paint, however, as they went through overhauls, the interiors were painted using Green as mentioned above. There's a great source of information on a website that was ran by Lynn Ritger. I'll see if I can find it and post up a link to it. he covers all of the Bureau Numbers and eventual fates. It should help you with the instruction's misprints on the history part.

Here are some excellent Pre War color photos that show the shade of green that was used. Several years ago, as part of our Midway Group build, I built up one of the old 1/48 scale Monogram TBD's in my stash, and I did a lot of online digging on the subject.

One thing I thought was incorrect about the color call outs was in reference to the on board fire extinguisher that was mounted in the middle cockpit. They were a polished brass color, and not a red. Red is a color that was introduced on most of the fire extinguishers a little later on. There were some that were painted red during this era, mainly the CO2 types, but not the one I'm talking about.

I have included a photo showing you what it should look like. This is a picture of the real thing.

Hope this helps.

I'm a retired firefighter, and I know a little about extinguishers too.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

That's a very nice interior, David @kahu
    Some very valuable information from Louis as well.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

I remember the information about the brass color fire extinguishers. But always good to get a reminder because Monogram TBDs got red ones.

IIRC, Corl who survived the TBD at Midway mentioned the silver interiors weathered to a dingy gray color.