GWH 1/48 TBD-1 Devastator

Started by David Odenwald · 92 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months ago:

@kahu, In the past I always hand brushed my models using enamels as well. I really loved the smell. Don't recall if acrylics already existed at that time. When re-entering this hobby I decided to go for an airbrush and gave acrylics a try, also because it would make cleaning the airbrush a lot easier. Started with Vallejo Model Air and I was very pleased about them. They should be airbrush ready, but I do thin them. Still have to try some other brands to see what the difference is. The old Humbrol and Revell enamel tins I have are still being used when painting small parts.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Enamels might be a wee bit hazardous but at least when they lay down they tend to stick.

Have glued on the folded wings for the TBD and that turned out to be a bit of a battle as they do not want to align like they should and instead point up like an SB2C doing the lobster fold of its wings. So had to glue them in, put some tack cloth in the angle for bracing, and as the glue sets gently nudge the wings further down until I reached the proper angle.

Still need to add the wing fold mechanisms, add some wiring at the wing fold, attach tires, and glue in the torpedo. Then call it quits. Next Devastator might be a Monogram kit.

• Profile Photo

One of the bright spots of the kit are the two slide molded torpedoes with PE props. The pieces for the wooden box are too thick, but once installed really won't be noticeable. Tried to simulate wood grain by streaking two different shades of brown.

Then I tried to make the bridle cables that hold the torpedo in place. It is somewhat frightening to think these two cables attached to the bomb racks by shackles was all that kept the pickle from falling out. But that seems the case.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Beautiful result on the torpedo, David @kahu
    I agree, must have been scary to fly with such fragile mounted armament.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent job on the torpedo, my friend @kahu! Indeed, the torpedo "mountings" look too fragile...

• Profile Photo

On page 3 of Squadron/Signal's TBD Devastator in Action #1097 we see 6-T-4 dropping a torpedo and just under the fuselage you can see these bridle cables now hanging loose. Below is a photo of a Mk XIII torpedo installed and the cables are more easily seen.

Going through my photos of TBD-1s with wings folded I realize that neither the GWH kit or the Monogram kit have the wings folded where the wing tips are maybe a foot from the canopy. Oh well, at least both kits' wings have the same angle.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Amazing how many small but important details one can see by looking closely, my friend @kahu!

• Profile Photo

Very interesting details, David @kahu

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Torpedo and cables look really nice, David @kahu. It is interesting that only this shackle keeps everything in place, but I think bombs were carried in much the same way. I am sure that there were operating restrictions on speed and G's when you were carrying the torpedo which would keep the pilot from losing his torpedo. Same idea for dropping wing tanks before maneuvering in combat.

• Profile Photo

Here is more progress. Torpedo glued in after fixing a slight snag. With the wood box it would not fit. A little quick sanding of the fuselage opening's sides it slid in snug. Got things glued to bomb racks so just have to trim and a bit more gluing to call it done. In the attached photos can also see the boxed in wheel wells, in this respect the GWH kit is like the Monogram one with these big empty spaces instead of wheel wells.

But as things were cranking along the whole kit slid out its cradle to snap off the antenna mast and a wing. deep breath truthfully should have tackled the torpedo mounting before gluing wings. Oh well lesson learned and its all fixable.

As for the cables, we must remember how the drop tank on Hellcats was held on. Not too different than this.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Great progress and even greater that your mishap is fixable, my friend @kahu. All good.

• Profile Photo

The torpedo fits nicely, David @kahu
    A pity about the antenna mast and wing, but as you said, fixable.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Sorry to hear about your model's unexpected flight, David (@kahu). I have this sort of accident on nearly every kit, mainly because my workbench is usually a mess. Glad you were able to fix the resulting damage.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for all the encouraging words, kitting the kit back together so I can finish it up. Antenna back on and so is wing. Still need to restring antenna wires and finish attaching the bridle cables. Glue prop on. Maybe a bit more weathering also. Bit I see light at end of build tunnel.

Side note this will be my fifth TBD built. First four being Monogram of course, still got two of them.

• Profile Photo

Solid progress, my friend @kahu! Looking forward to see her finished!
    Your fifth Devastator? Sounds awesome!