Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

That's an amazing interior, @tcinla.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looks awesome, Tom.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Fantastic detailed interior, Tom @tcinla
    Indeed a pitty that most of it will be covered.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I painted the interior and did some detailing. As it turns out, that is all time wasted, given that once the canopy is on, you cannot see anything other than the cockpit that is immediately visible under the canopy. So, do or do not, but know that it will never be seen again once the fuselage is closed up.

Closed up the fuselage, and found that to get the side glass in the canopy to stay in position, since the joining surfaces are very small, was best accomplished running a thin line of CA glue along the side piece, using the pointed end of a pin as the applicator. I closed up the bomb bay just because I wanted to preserve the lines of the aircraft. The bomb bay has nice interior detail and provides 6x1,000-lb bombs and a 5,000-lb "cookie," the standard Lancaster load.

H-K really has figured out how to make it so the wings and tail do not have to be glued into position. They slide into their holders and "click". No sag, a very solid model when you pick it up, yet a model that can be stored in a box when not on display. The props also are slip-on/off.

Something to consider: early B.Mk. I's had the small fuselage windows; these were later replaced with metal. However, also, some of the early planes when they were reworked had the windows either painted over or replaced with metal. Also, most B.Mk.Is had the side window with the teardrop bulge, while B. Mk. IIIs didn't. But some B.Mk. Is had the side window with the bulge replaced. You need to find photos of the subject matter you are doing to figure that out. Fortunately, I was able to find photos on the net of the two airplanes that are markings options in the kit, as well as the markings options in the Xtradecal "Ton-up Lancasters" sheet I will be using. The time spent doing that research is time well-spent.

Now to proceed to attaching all the small detail to the fuselage that Tamiya didn't even provide.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Can imagine that you want to preserve the lines of this beauty, Tom @tcinla.
    That tail and wing solution sounds really great, no gaps visible after that "click" ?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

This is such great progress, my friend @tcinla! Thanks for info regarding the interior viewability.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - not one gap anywhere. It's the same trick they did with the B-17s.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Interior looks great, Tom (tcinla). The exterior paint will really bring this to life. I can't imagine building this plane and then breaking it down to store it. I would want to have it where I could see it, as well as having it in view for visitors.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - true dat. But there are those who "rotate the display," so I show them.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Here it is masked - this was probably the longest and most tedious task in the entire project. Took several hours yesterday and several today, for probably an hour's use in painting (of course they stay on till the end after all the other painting and such.

Also, once I get the basic scheme done, since I am doing a "ton-up" (more than 100 missions) Lancaster, there is some heavy weathering to look forward to. I'm going for a look like the accompanying color photo. (The photo is reversed, and by chance it is "Admiral Prune", one of the kit decal options. I'm going to do "Spirit of Russia," the all-time longest-lived Lancaster (109 missions).

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

That's some serious masking, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Obvisious that this took some hours to achieve, Tom @tcinla
    109 missions is a lot, especially for a bomber.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Closing in on finished. Everything is decaled now and the turrets positioned.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good. So much nicer then the Tamiya kit.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Amazing step done, Tom @tcinla
    Without the wings being 'clicked on' it must be so much easier to do the decalling.