Halberd/Tamiya 1/48 XP-72

Started by Tom Cleaver · 17 · 4 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 months, 1 week ago:

The XP-72 was the ultimate development of the P-47. Powered by an R-4360 giving 3,000 h.p. it was clocked at 508 mph at 35,000 feet. Originally designed as an interceptor, it had become a strategic air superiority fighter by the time the two prototypes flew. It was good enough it was ordered into production in December 1944 with an initial 100. Then some bureaucrat in the USAAF asked "Why are we building an interceptor?" The design designation hadn't been changed! And it got cancelled at the end of January 1945, with only the two prototypes flying. The first had a 4-blade prop; the second validated the operational design with a contraprop to give full power from the engine without throwing the airplane around the airfield on takeoff, or around the sky when maneuvering. The production P-72A would have used the P-47N wing.

The "difficult" part of the project is cutting out the lower wing panel to replace it with the one for the 3-gun wing. Since the kit is designed to use the Tamiya P-47D Bubbletop kit, a resin plug for the ourter wingtip with the later position of the landing light is also supplied. The inner landing light position is filled in and sanded smooth.

This is another easy Halberd conversion to get something really interesting. Given that one of the few perks of living alone these days is I can do whatever I want whenever I want, I spent last night painting everything and today assembling the kit.

Further proof you cannot go wrong with a Halberd kit.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Yet another super entry, my friend @tcinla! Looking really awesome, cannot wait to see it done!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Another superb project, Tom @tcinla
    The Thunderbolt was originally a big plane already but this variant looks huge for a single engine aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Ditto from me, Tom (@tcinla). These Halberd conversions seem really quick to do and really turn out a nice model. Looking forward to the rest.

• Profile Photo

Painted it today. First the anti glare, then a coat of Tamiya X-18 Semi-Gloff Black thinnerd with Mr. Leveling Thinner, then Vallejo metallics. Overall aluminum, then the cowling in Semi-matte aluminum, the exhaust areain Duraliminum, the gun panels and some others on the fuselage with Dull aluminum. I'd have more shots but the camera told me to charge the battery, so more tomorrow.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here are shots of it painted and assembled - decals next. I think I might give it a nice big exhaust stain down the fuselage and have it represent the airplane as it looked when it came back from the record 508 mph run.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Very good paintwork, Tom @tcinla
    The metallics do look very nice.
    Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo

Excellent painting, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Finished. Most likely the last of 2023.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Gorgeous build Tom, Andrey does it again... also great to see you building them so fast and getting the word out about Halberd.

• Profile Photo

I have a break between finishing "Mediterranean Sweep" (XII Air Force in Italian campaign) and "The Cold Blue" (15th Air Force and the Ploesti campaign) and since there's no one here but the cats for me to have to care for anymore, I took the time to do what I wanted when I wanted to do it and knocked off the two. It helps that they're superbly-designed drop-fit conversions that work seamlessly with the most "comfort food" model Tamiya ever released.

I also have the resin kit "Beguine" and the conversion for the Anson Young P-51 racer, and then next month Andrey is finally releasing the TF-51D.

Those will get produced at a slower pace as I crawl back into the time machine next week and program it for November 1943. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 1 week ago:

Looks awesome, Tom (@tcinla). I don't think I have ever seen a conversion for a TF-51D. That really sounds interesting. Is it based on the Tamiya P-51?

• Profile Photo

Awesome result, Tom! Looking forward to the review!

• Profile Photo

A great finish of 2023, Tom @tcinla
    Happy New Year.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - it's basd on the Eduard kit - and it will have surface detail that equals what's on the Eduard fuselage parts.