Halberd/Eduard 1/48 TF-51D Mustang

Started by Tom Cleaver · 10 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

I've been waiting for this conversion ever since Andrey told me he was working on it last summer. It's worth the wait!

This is a superb conversion kit. It has been simplified, with the cockpit side detail molded in. You can use any Eduard Mustang, since it has the dorsal fin (I'm using a P-51D-5 kit).

The cast resin canopy is amazing.It's as clear as the canopy parts in the Eduard kit, and as thin.

As with the other P-51 conversions from Halberd, the fuselage surface detail is as nice as you find in the Eduard injection molded parts.

Two kits have been released: this one which has decals for Air National Guard TF-51Ds, specifically "Toulouse Nuts" from the West Virginia ANG, and a second from the Indiana ANG. The second kit has decals for Guatemalan and Bolivian air force TF-51Ds.

The price is $72 for the kit and $26 for shipping from Ukraine. Is it worth it? Well, the top end quality is there, and if you're a Mustang fanatic it's a "must have." It's definitely the best TF-51D conversion anyone's ever done.

The conversion is simple enough that if you have yet a major resin conversion model, this is a good first time candidate.

Here are photos of the assembly of the fuselage.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent conversion kit and excellent progress, my friend @tcinla!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

This conversion looks really good, Tom (@tcinla). The conversion parts look as good as the kit parts. It will be hard to choose between an ANG version or a South American version. Camo or all natural metal? Hard to choose.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Nice work on the conversion, Tom @tcinla
    Looking forward to the next steps.

• Profile Photo

As I said, this is an easy conversion. Once you do the Halberd fuselage, the rest is just to assemble the Eduard wing and tail surfaces and attach them.

Here is the result. I did the Indiana ANG option, which is more colorful.

I can't figure out yet which option to do with the canopy - open or closed. So here's a shot of each.

Full review at Modeling Madness on Thursday.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

A wonderful result, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Great result and indeed a colorful scheme, Tom @tcinla
    Looking forward to the full review.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

These Halberd kit really look like a great choice for the variations on the Mustang (and the T Bolt, if I recall correctly). You've got yours done in an attractive scheme and it looks great. How many Mustangs do you have in you collection? I imagine it is quite a few. I've only got one built and its the first one I've built in 50 years! Not that I don't like Mustangs, its just that there are so many choices of kits to build.

Thanks for sharing this and giving us the review on the kit.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 2 weeks ago:

Came out looking really nice, Tom (@tcinla). It looks a little odd with the canopy pushed back all the way to the tail. I like odd things, so I would go with the canopy open.

• Profile Photo

There's a modeler named Ed Mate who claims he's built 80 Tamiya P-47s. I think I am closing in on him. 🙂