Hasegawa 1/48 P-38J Lightning

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 76 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking really nice, my friend @uscusn! I might give Microset/Sol a go, too!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This build has been an enjoyable journey, Chuck (@uscusn). Everything looks great as you near the end of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 7 months ago:

John been using the Microscale system in applying decals since the 70's when I first started using Microscale decals and followed their directions and advise from the hobby shop owner who was quite helpful, Bert, from Bert's Hobbies in Downy on Telegraph Rd, one of the great times when hobby stores were owned by model builders before the Net pretty much ruined the brick and mortar stores of the times. Not as large and as elaborate as Brookhurst Hobbies, (still around) but a nice personal touch with a man that was willing to share and show you techniques to a young modeler at the time.

Thanks Spiros, MicroSol is the step you use last to melt the decal over panel lines, rivets and other surface details. Not strong like Solva Set which you use on stubborn decals, or over contours and more complicated details that Micro Sol is not strong enough for the decal to conform too. Haven't tried yet any of the other decal softeners like Mr Mark from Gunze or Tamiyas Decal sets. Sometime you get comfy with what you have been using over the years. So why try something new when you have what works now.

Thanks George, the BMF scheme is a bit of a challenge especially on an air frame that did require a lot of seam work. Extra light sanding to remove the scratches that will show on this type of finish, the primer does fill most of them, still even have to check the finish before applying the metallizers.

• Profile Photo

With the decals applied and a bit more weathering under the air frame applied.

Now time to attach some final detail bits.

Will start with painting the prop spinners Blue, using RLM24 lightened with about 10 drops of white.

While drying went ahead and assembled the bombs. A bit of clean up before painting them Olive Drab

Next to install the turbo chargers. Painted Burnt metal, and will have a wash to burnish them a bit.

Now to start on the main gear assembly. Simple design, and not a complicated retractable gear on the Lightning, as Hasegawa has as well and easy to attach into each gear bay with a minimal of parts. Nice to have a step that is not over engineered with a multiple part strut assembly.

First to attach the actuator arm to the retraction system.

Then install the struts in notches in the side walls of the gear bay, solid fit here. Sturdy gear once set should last for years sitting on the shelf and absorb any future moves down the road.

Now the nose gear, also a simple uncomplicated process. Both pieces again attach to well set location mounts with in the nose base, Solid sturdy and should last as well.

Next up to install the wheel assemblies, and assemble the props and install.

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Very good progress, my friend @uscusn! The turbochargers look great. Nice that the landing gear is not over engineered.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Perfect steps made, Chuck @uscusn
    Getting a gear on means getting closer to the finish line.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Gear looks really slick, Chuck (@uscusn). Oleo really looks the part.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros and seem pretty sturdy as well.

Thanks John, at this point getting closer to wrapping this long term build up.

George, these chrome pens really are the ticket over the standard Chrome Silver I was using for years on the oleos.

Before installing the wheels. First to attach the lower antenna just forward of the nose gear bay.

Next is the assemble the spinners and simply snap them in place in front of the nacelles. Rather simple process from Hasegawa. No poly caps or rings to hold them in place.

The Lightning up on her gear ready for those wheels.

The Aluminum hubs are masked off and Tamiya Tire black is air brushed over the tires.

Then removed from the sprue and the area trimmed are painter Tire Black.

The masks removed from the nose wheel.

The nose wheel is removed from the sprue and then attached to the nose gear strut.

The main wheels are assembled.

Then both main wheels are then attached to the main gear struts.

The wheels went on very well. They should last for years sitting on the shelf and some movement.

Once the wheels were set, Put all three on the ground and sits at the proper nose up attitude. The spinners in place, the left one is a bit loose.

Finally removed the masks on the flip up access door.

next up the dreaded gear doors...

More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @uscusn!
    Great job on the wheels and spinners!
    Looking forward to see your job on the gear doors!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Landing gear and propeller spinners look great Chuck @uscusn
    Looking forward to the final stages.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Success, Chuck (@uscusn), it sits on all three wheels. The P-38 is notorious for wanting to sit on its tail. Wheels look great. I can never seem to get the masks on the wheel hubs centered, so well done having everything come out so well.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 7 months ago:

What a journey! some well sequenced painting and decaling. It is looking great on its wheels.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks guys, building 2 Academy Lightning's prior to the Hase and currently the Tam P-38 have helped determine how much weight to drop in the nose keep it standing on it's gear. Now starting at the nose, to install the gear door.

First the door actuator.

This will be installed within the nose gear bay at the rear of the bay. About a 45 degree angle.

Next the nose gear door is attached at the hinge point and the actuator to set the proper angle. The nose gear door actually has a positive contact points that allow a good fit to the nose.

Somehow I don't have the images for the trial and error process to attach the main gear doors. Trust me I get them on, it was not a fun task.

With the gear doors attached. Next was to lightly airbrush the exhaust stain along the top of the booms using Tamiya Smoke.

Careful not to put too much smoke on this. This should get the desired effect.

Now to decal the prop blades.

Once they set, Vallejo Flat Clear Coat is applied. I like using this paint as it leaves a nice flat finish.

With the clear coat now set, each blade is then inserted into the spinners.

All the bladed have been inserted. And looks much more like a Lightning now with this all done.

The top canopy hatch is installed and the stab counterweight as well. Now last is to install the Master brass gun barrels.

Love using these as this small bit of detailed brass barrels do look much better than the plastic ones. Main reason they are hollow. Well made and easy to install. Starting with the 20mm cannon.

Next working Left to Right, carefully insert the barrels into the gun ports in the nose.

She is done!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 6 months ago:

Congratulations, my friend @uscusn!
    What a great journey, loved all those final bits added!
    Looking really beautiful (call me weirdoe, I love the Hasegawa Lightnings, though I understand the Tam kit is absolutely superb!).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 6 months ago:

What a great looking Lightning, Chuck @uscusn
    Lots of great looking effects like the fuel stains and exhaust effect.
    Also the gun barrels are a beautiful addition to this build.